• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem folding with 3 gpu's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What PPD are you getting on the 295?

Ahhh its tough to say right now, Ive had it off a couple of times today while I was trying to get gpu 1 to engage. The program give me a driver error saying I need the newest one, or my gpu doesnt support it. Its irritateing because Ive seen people online includeing yourself run 2x 295s with ease, and I can only get half of one to work lol. I keep getting p10112's, and it takes about 53s to bang thru a frame.

Do you have SLI (multi-gpu) turned on on your co-op 295? If not, turn it on and see if your ppd doesn't go up.

It has been a while, but if I remember right, the co-op card, in SLI mode, will do as well as a dual pcb 295 in non-sli mode.

Edit: Ok, reading back through some of my previous postings about co-op 295s.
SLI = on
PhysX = off
2 clients running, with -gpu 0 and -gpu 1.

Last edited:
Do you have SLI (multi-gpu) turned on on your co-op 295? If not, turn it on and see if your ppd doesn't go up.

It has been a while, but if I remember right, the co-op card, in SLI mode, will do as well as a dual pcb 295 in non-sli mode.

Heres a kick in the nuts, its a dual pcb 295.

I must be doing something wrong in the config, I dont know.. but whatever it is its a real pita :(

I have 2 folders, 1 for each gpu. I dont have the card in 3d mode. I can run 2 clients, but they just run on 1 gpu, even tho each gpu has its own machine id. If I use the -gpu 0 -gpu 1 flags, gpu 0 runs just fine, but the second instance pops up with an error saying that I need a newer driver, or my gpu isnt compatible with what i want to do, or something like that. Maybe I have a dud 295? It works fine with games tho.. both cores get used :screwy:

Ok. I've been told that you don't need a dummy plug in Win 7 if you use the -forcegpu nvidia_g80 flag. But I haven't been able to get it to work without a dummy plug myself.

And on the dual-pcb 295 boards, your second GPU is only hooked up to the HDMI port. If you have another monitor that has a DVI port on it, and you use a HDMI to DVI adapter out of the back of the card for the DVI cable to plug in, you will be able to use both GPUs.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you. Don't forget to expand the desktop when you plug in the HDMI port.

Ok. I've been told that you don't need a dummy plug in Win 7 if you use the -forcegpu nvidia_g80 flag. But I haven't been able to get it to work without a dummy plug myself.

And on the dual-pcb 295 boards, your second GPU is only hooked up to the HDMI port. If you have another monitor that has a DVI port on it, and you use a HDMI to DVI adapter out of the back of the card for the DVI cable to plug in, you will be able to use both GPUs.

I'm sorry I don't have a better answer for you. Don't forget to expand the desktop when you plug in the HDMI port.

Thats a great answer, I hadnt thought of trying the hdmi plug. unfortunately I do not have another monitor, but my current monitor has video switching..

Thats a great answer, I hadnt thought of trying the hdmi plug. unfortunately I do not have another monitor, but my current monitor has video switching..

Good news gents.

I have both sides of the 295 folding away now, I just had to have the hdmi plugged in wooo :)

Wow does it run alot warmer then before! :D

Glad you got it working Free! :beer:

Thanks man :rock:

Im going to try again with the 8800 in my settup now, in the other rig it gets used for facebook and stuff, wich cuts into ppd bigtime, she doesnt need a 4ghz wolfedale and 8800gt for farmville even tho she thinks she does lol :D

Awsome!

Alright, Ive got all 3 gpus running fullsteam on my i7 system!

You have to have a monitor plugged into a dvi and the hdmi on the 295, and the 8800gt has to be connected to a monitor. They just have to be plugged in at startup heheh. Luckily for me my monitor has a dvi, hdmi, and analogue plug, so I got lucky woohoo :) To save wear and tear on my psu since it was getting pretty warm, I went back to stock clocks all around and it seems to be a bit happier heheh.

Well, Ive had a bit of a shaky start, Im still workin out some bugs with my system, Im hopeing Ive solved it! Ive moved up almost 300 spots in the last week or so heheh. I am going to get some newer, stronger gpus in the mix, and retire the 8800 to my moms computer, tho it probably wont fold because the computer is almost unuseable when f@h is running on that gpu. I have to wait until christmas is over before I get some new gpus.

Okay, I was haveing some issues with gpu2, the app would crash after about 12-15 hours or so, give or take. So I decided to try gpu3 out, and I like it! Its not as brutal on my 295 as the old version was, and it uses it smartly it seems. I can run the clocks alot higher, and it will still run cooler then with gpu2. Im not sure about the long term yet, but so far Im really likeing it :) Ive also decided to run the 8800GT with my e8600, its less hassle doing it like that, I dont like haveing 3 wires into 1 monitor lol :)

Freeagent, if you'll PM me your mailing address, I'll ship you 2 dummy plugs free of charge.

Okay, I was haveing some issues with gpu2, the app would crash after about 12-15 hours or so, give or take.

fwiw, I've been having a hard time with all my GPU folders for the past couple of weeks. The new core 15 6800 series of WUs are very hard on fermi GPUs and many people are seeing issues, some even at stock speeds.

Over the past couple of days Stanford has been sending WUs to my 8800GTs that simply won't fold. Even at stock speed they generate errors. As of last night this seems to have settled down. These have all be 1051x WUs. I'm now at 12% on a 10514 WU, so we'll see how it goes.

Freeagent, if you'll PM me your mailing address, I'll ship you 2 dummy plugs free of charge.

Hey thanks alot man! I cannot find them in my city, I got a few blank stares :screwy: You have a PM comeing :rock:

fwiw, I've been having a hard time with all my GPU folders for the past couple of weeks. The new core 15 6800 series of WUs are very hard on fermi GPUs and many people are seeing issues, some even at stock speeds.

Over the past couple of days Stanford has been sending WUs to my 8800GTs that simply won't fold. Even at stock speed they generate errors. As of last night this seems to have settled down. These have all be 1051x WUs. I'm now at 12% on a 10514 WU, so we'll see how it goes.

I thought it was my setup! I was getting a bit angry lol :) At first it was gpu 1 that was getting unstable machine errors, then gpu 0 started too. I havent gotten any with the newer client, but it take along time to bust thru these units. So... I will be getting a new gpu or 2 over the winter heheh.

Everything's been OK with my Fermi's ones @61c and the other @56c No failures on those or any of my GPU's 8800GT 9800GTX and X2 maybe its whether you push your shader's to hard? My Fermi's are at 1745 had a 1 failure on each one @1800.

Everything's been OK with my Fermi's ones @61c and the other @56c No failures on those or any of my GPU's 8800GT 9800GTX and X2 maybe its whether you push your shader's to hard? My Fermi's are at 1745 had a 1 failure on each one @1800.

No thats the thing, I wasnt pushing my shaders at all, it would error out even at stock speeds and settings all around the system. My 8800gt is fine too, it was just my 295 haveing problems. With the new client I can run the card at full speed with no problem. Honestly, this is my replacement card, Ive had it since the late summer, and I have less then 8 hours of game play on it, so its basically still fresh!

Hey thanks alot man! I cannot find them in my city, I got a few blank stares :screwy: You have a PM comeing :rock:

I thought it was my setup! I was getting a bit angry lol :) At first it was gpu 1 that was getting unstable machine errors, then gpu 0 started too. I havent gotten any with the newer client, but it take along time to bust thru these units. So... I will be getting a new gpu or 2 over the winter heheh.

Only folders make these I think, it's just 4 resistors soldered into an adapter plug, I believe there's a tut around here or if not then on the web. torin sent me a couple by mistake(I only needed one) and I forwarded one to a folding friend for free who also got blank stares asking for it!:screwy: :D

I lucked out big time as he was replacing his GTX 470 with a pair of 480's so he sent me his 'old' GTX470 in return for the favour!:shock::santa: Thanks torin, this has to be one of my, if not, the most rewarding screw ups that I have ever lucked into! :beer::comp::salute: Who would have everr thought that me paying twice the going rate would have gotten some %9000 ROI. This is why I love the folding community.:)

Last edited:
Back