• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my Sony Bravia KDL-40EX500 cripple the GTX 580?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

qcom

Registered
Hey all,

I currently have a Sony Bravia KDL-40EX500 LCD tv.

I'm making a build which will include the GTX 580, and I was wondering if my TV, which will be used as a monitor via HDMI, will cripple the card. I'm guessing not, considering the TV boasts 120Hz, 1080p and it's 40 inches diagonal.

I just don't want to dump the cash into the 580 and then realize that my tv ends up being the bottleneck here.

I wish it was a 3D tv, but I love this tv, so I'm sticking wit it.

Bottle neck is when someting causes loss of performance of somting. Less resolution, better performance... Your TV is very capable from what i can see. Not going to be a problem at all.

A display can't really be a bottleneck... If you mean you're wondering whether the gtx 580 can handle running at that resolution/refresh rate, then you'll still be totally fine. That gpu is a best.

Thanks for the help guys!

Sorry if I used the wrong term.

What I meant was, will I get almost all out of the GTX 580 with the Bravia, minus the 3D? What is a display called if it isn't considered a bottleneck? I think I see what you mean though.

Thanks for the help guys!

Sorry if I used the wrong term.

What I meant was, will I get almost all out of the GTX 580 with the Bravia, minus the 3D? What is a display called if it isn't considered a bottleneck? I think I see what you mean though.

I see what you're saying. Technically, I guess you're using the right term, but I've never heard of anyone thinking about performance in that direction. I suppose yes, if you don't have a big enough display, your GTX580 will run at some ungodly high fps, wasting its potential. Keep in mind, though, that this depends a lot on what kind of video/games you're running on it and what the settings are.

Suppose you run your game at max settings, its certainly possible that you will get an fps much higher than you need. 1080p = 1920x1080, and you can find 24" desktop monitors with higher resolutions which would tax the gpu far more than a 1080p TV over hdmi. Honestly, though, at such high performance levels, any differences would not be noticeable.

I see what you're saying. Technically, I guess you're using the right term, but I've never heard of anyone thinking about performance in that direction. I suppose yes, if you don't have a big enough display, your GTX580 will run at some ungodly high fps, wasting its potential. Keep in mind, though, that this depends a lot on what kind of video/games you're running on it and what the settings are.

Suppose you run your game at max settings, its certainly possible that you will get an fps much higher than you need. 1080p = 1920x1080, and you can find 24" desktop monitors with higher resolutions which would tax the gpu far more than a 1080p TV over hdmi. Honestly, though, at such high performance levels, any differences would not be noticeable.

OK, but yes, I would be using the latest games with my 1920x1080 resolution, at the complete MAX settings.

Yeah, hooking that card to anything LESS than that TV would be putting the card to waste.

OK, so are you saying that the Bravia will be able to push the GTX 580 relatively well?

So, in other words, should I get a less expensive card because my TV won't be able to push it well enough? Or do you think the TV will be ok?

1920 x 1080 is the same whether its on a 20" monitor or on a 40" tv. Your display regardless of it being a tv or monitor, has no bearing on how 'hard' the video card works. If anything it will look better on the tv because they usually have a much better contrast ratio than a typical lcd monitor. You will see better colors in otherwords. :) I had my 5870 hooked up to my bravia and I now am trying to find a way to use it 'permanently' as my main monitor. The missus though doesn't seem to think that we should be looking at another tv. Guess who wins! :(

I think the question you're asking is "would a GTX 580 be overkill for a 1080p display?" The answer is probably yes. Much cheaper cards would be able to run at that relatively low resolution (1920x1080) with a good framerate and maxed settings. The GPU's performance depends on your CPU, RAM, and Motherboard in order to maintain a good bandwidth, not the display. The resolution can't "cripple" a card in terms of hindering it's actual performance. A card will perform just the same on any 1080p screen with the same refreshrate. However, your resolution will make a difference on how well the card can perform. Btw a card's performance is usually best measured in fps. So the higher the resolution the lower the fps. The GTX 580 would eat almost anything at 1080p for breakfast without even a wince. Therefore a GTX 580 is pretty much overkill, but you wouldn't have to upgrade in a while though :thup:. Also, you would be able to run a high-res monitor (say... 2560x1600) in the future at max settings and good framerates.

Sounds good.

I think what I'll do is wait until the AMD HD 6900 series GPUs come out, and check out their specs and benchmarks in comparison to the 580.

Not only may it surpass the 580, it nay be cheaper as well.

Sounds good.

I think what I'll do is wait until the AMD HD 6900 series GPUs come out, and check out their specs and benchmarks in comparison to the 580.

Not only may it surpass the 580, it nay be cheaper as well.

You never know with AMD! ;)

I might sell my 5870 and grab the new card.. I'm hoping they are beasts..

Ok nowwww it all makes sense. It's not that the tv is a bottleneck but the 580 is way freaking overkill. At 1080p you're probably fine with a 470 or 480 or one of the amd 6900's when they come out

Ok nowwww it all makes sense. It's not that the tv is a bottleneck but the 580 is way freaking overkill. At 1080p you're probably fine with a 470 or 480 or one of the amd 6900's when they come out

Yeah, sorry about my OP phrasing before.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

I think I still might get it for coolness factor, and not only that, but I might update displays somewhat soon.

Yeah, sorry about my OP phrasing before.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

I think I still might get it for coolness factor, and not only that, but I might update displays somewhat soon.

Not gonna lie. Sony bravia tvs are amazing!

Not gonna lie. Sony bravia tvs are amazing!

I know, right! There quite b0$$! :p

I just bought the exact same model the OP is talking about, it's rather nice.

I'm assuming you mean the exact model TV, right?

If so, what do you think of it?

I have mine set up to be retail mode, with some settings configured the way I like.

1080p looks fine to me lol... I use 1440x900 =D
I would wait for the 6970, it'll probably stomp on a 580 and cost less (that's what ATi loves doing) :thup:

I agree with that, but if the rumored specs of the 6970 (although seem to be ridiculous) are true, then it would certainly perform better than the 580.

I'm assuming you mean the exact model TV, right?

If so, what do you think of it?

I have mine set up to be retail mode, with some settings configured the way I like.

Yep, same TV. $650 from Ultimate Electronics, worth every penny. I was using a crappy 720p 32" Magnavox TV before that. I love the TV, now I just need to get a PS3 to play Blu Rays :D

Back