• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P55 or H55 for an i3 540?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rizo-uk

Which chipset is the better of the two?

looking for a good OC to 4.5ghz on the i3.

Ive browsed the forums but could really get a direct answer

I will not be using the iGPU... have a GTS450 for that.

cheers people :D

Jon

Which chipset is the better of the two?

looking for a good OC to 4.5ghz on the i3.

Ive browsed the forums but could really get a direct answer

I will not be using the iGPU... have a GTS450 for that.

cheers people :D

Jon

If you want to use the IGP the H is your option you are not. If you want something close to an enthusiast level the P is the way to go.

One thing to think about, though... a good H55 board should be able to max out that i3 just as well as a P55 board, with the added benefit of allowing you to use the IGP in the future, should you ever decide to upgrade and kick the i3 over to some other task (server duties, or a PC for the 'rents, or whatever).

So overclocking abilities will be similar then?

I just feed odd about having video ports on the mobo and not actually using them :)

An upper-end P55 board might do a bit better than an upper-end H55 board, but the H55 chipset is quite capable in its own right.

Of course there are other factors, H55 boards don't have RAID or some of the other high-end features, so make sure not to overlook things like that. But if you find an H55 board that otherwise fits your requirements, I wouldn't avoid it just because of the IGP capabilities.

Back