• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Leak! Software or hardware related?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
I have a dual boot and haven't noticed this on Windows 7 but on my Windows XP, when I use multiple programs and do multiple memory intensive applications at once, some of the fonts turn black and some of the menu items disappear... and gradually the system freezes soon/immediately thereafter.

I have old drive image files so I went back a couple of months but it is still happening. This time as soon as I noticed it, I shut down some of the operations and Windows XP went back to normal.

I usually hit my system pretty hard with DVD editing, TV capturing, multiple other operations but did not have this problem before and as far as I can tell still don't have it when I boot into Windows 7.

Can it be hardware failing? Could it be software? What would be the plan to catch the possible culprit?

EDIT 12/5/2010: It actually may be Avira Anitivir update.

Yup!:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=662425

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 Radeon HD 4850 1GB DDR3 @ 625 MHz GPU & 1986 MHz Memory
OCZ Agility 60GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Last edited:
The thing that troubles me is that it just happened on my Sep 30, 2010 WinXP image. Could it be hardware? Can this thing be set to run in the background for 24 hours and then tell me if it is hardware or software that causes this because the problem only appears after a few hours after reimaging.

Last edited:
You can find the debugging tools here, which include the UMDH utility...

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/DevTools/Debugging/default.mspx

I have downloaded it and it includes Windbg but not UMDH.

EDIT: Maybe it is the overclock.

Come to think of it, after a couple of years, dust accumulates, other reasons, make the OC unstable somewhat and it only manifests itself when the system is overly stressed, and the symptoms sound like the OC instability, so first thing I'll do is take it down and see what happens.

Last edited:
Screenshots before the problem and right after it starts happening, maybe the RAM has gone bad...

[And by the way, partial text would even disappear from Notepad and would reappear if I closed some other apps.]

Attachments

• BeforeProblem.jpg
    BeforeProblem.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 563
  • AfterProblem.jpg
    AfterProblem.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 511
9 hour overnight came back clean on RAM... I have meminfo installed which displays amount of RAM being used in the corner and I don't really think it's skyrocketing when this happens.

But if I close one of the multiple programs down when this starts to happen - the problem goes away.

What could it be....

What's a good Video Card test, FurMark? Is there any stress test ATi uses on their video cards?

Last edited:
when it happens, what are your kernel paged and non paged values?
what are the values when you first login? what are the values after it slows down and you kill some tasks?
its under windows task manager, performance tab
are all your drivers up to date?

when it happens, what are your kernel paged and non paged values?
what are the values when you first login? what are the values after it slows down and you kill some tasks?
its under windows task manager, performance tab

Before and after screen shots

Attachments

• MemBefore.jpg
    MemBefore.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 533
  • MemAfter.jpg
    MemAfter.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 486
Back