• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Standalone GPU for 3 monitors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for that, when I first started looking I found out about the 295 that has the 3 connectors but for the price I think I am going to look for a 9800 gx2 as long as I can find a full coverage water block, if not I am going to go with the 295.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Nope.

1 GTX 460 will power 2 monitors, 1 hdmi + 1 DVI or 2 DVI.

Even in the Nvidia control panel it says that it will only power 2 monitors.

The 9800 GX2 and the GTX 295 will power 3 because they have 2 GPUs on board.

So it looks like Nvidia cards can only power 2 monitors per physical GPU, regardless of the connectors.

For the OP: A 9800 GX2 would probably be the cheapest option if you can find one. GTX 295 with 3 physical connectors should work, but the dual PCB one will definately work if it has 1 HDMI and 2 DVI connectors on it.

To clarify some things: (since I was looking into the same thing recently)

Any of the dual CPU cards, (9800 GX2 and the like), will support two monitors, as said.

However, the nvidia quadro cards can support up to 4 monitors, and a very reasonably priced; considering what they are very good at doing. (i.e. workstation tasks, not gaming.)

my 2c :3

Back