Thread: Wireless N

Wireless N

I have just got a new adsl netgear modem/router. I only have one device in the network which has a wireless n adaptor. I have 2 PS3's and a laptop not on n.

My PC with an N adaptor is getting 130mbps to 144mbps out of the 300mbps.

My question is shall I set the router to run in up to 145mbps mode? - Will this increase reliability and keep the same speed? - Even create less heat?

Thanks.
    | Asus Rampage III Extreme | Core i7 930 | NH-D14 HSF |

| 2 Gainward GTX 460 1GB 800mhz | Corsair Pro AX850 |

| Crucial 64GB 350mb/s SSD | 640GB Sata 6GB/s HDD |

| Lian Li PC-P50R case | Blu-ray/DVD RW Combo |

| Acer GD245HQ 24" 120Hz Monitor | Nvidia 3D Vision |

I would assume that the difference between 300Mbps mode and 145Mbps mode is that 300Mbps is full duplex and 145Mbps is half. If you change to 145Mbps mode your speed will most likely decrease due to the interface only transmitting OR receiving at once(half duplex) instead of transmitting AND receiving at once(full duplex). The router heat may decrease but probably only by a negligible amount.

Hope this helps.
    Brian
    Yayer.

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name CompuTamer's Avatar
    300MBPs is the theorictical max that the tech can sustain. It will never be seen with even one wall in place.... you might see close to it in direct line of site in close proximity, but even then it's unlikely.

I think Brian is right. By forcing the router to sustain 145, you'd probably cause it to switch to half duplex, meaning that you can only send OR receive. Not send AND receive. Router heat would be negligible in either case.
    Intel Core i7 C0 @ 4.01GHz with 1.388 vCore ..........................................Intel i7 4500U
    Intel DX58SO Motherboard IOH + QPI @ 1.250 Volts..............................Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro
    Sony Optiarc Blu-Ray Drive.................................................. ...............802.11AC
    8 GB G-Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 @ 1.65 Volts ...........................................8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
    60GB OCZ Solid 3 + 320GB WD Blue+ 1TB WD Green...............................Samsung 250GB SSD
    Antec 900.................................................. .......................................All Metal Body
    BFG GS-650.................................................. .....................................Lenovo Power Brick + 54Whr Battery
    XFX Radeon HD 4850 (660/1060 53C Idle 62C Load) @ 1.31 vCore............Intel HD4400
    Dual Dell E2311H LED 1920x1080.................................................. .......13.6" 3200x1800 Touchscreen
    Windows 7 Ultimate.................................................. ..........................Windows 8.1
    Those specs up there? They're silent. Silence is good. Very good.
    Your Core 2 Quad is based off of the Pentium pro in a few ways.