• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Silly Question about mobo transfer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johnxcxv

Hi OC, I have a question, can I transfer a mobo from one case to another with the heatsink and cpu still attached, I just added thermal paste and it would be a waste. Would this damage the mobo?

:welcome: to OCF! --- and Happy Thanksgiving!

Most people will probably disagree with me but, yes, if you're careful you can swap the board into a new case. Try to keep it as flat as possible while you're switching them - that's very important! Twisting/bending the board too far may ruin it.

Good luck ...! :)

Sure it'll be fine as long as you lift it out carefully and support it so the board doesn't bend or anything.

I've done it hundreds of times with no issues

Nick

If the heatsink is stock or not much bigger/heavier than normal, it will be fine. I'd be wary of a big sink though.

Sure it'll be fine as long as you lift it out carefully and support it so the board doesn't bend or anything.

I've done it hundreds of times with no issues

Same here, cept dozens rather then hundreds. I don't remove the heatsink if i don't have to.

I've done it on many occasions. In fact, most if my new builds I mount the CPU/HSF before casing the board simply so I can put the back plate on a solid surface to avoid extra force on the board between the CPU bracket and case mounting posts. Just remember it's heavier so try not to drag the board on the posts when seating it into the back plate. A thin layer of epoxy protects the board some but can be damaged by a sharp screw.

Last edited:
Back