• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slow internet on linux mint 10

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediobi1

I didnt know which forum this goes in so I chose this one, I have linux mint 10 installed on my desktop and my laptop and the connection speed is very very slow, it take almost 1-2 minutes to load a single page like this one,

I have searched google and have seen others with the same problem but no fixes, does anyone have any ideas I can try or anything I can install to help speed it up? also the speed is fine in windows

let me know thanks

Have you installed any video drivers? they're usually called "unrestricted drivers", this may speed it up.
Maybe using chrome instead of firefox may solve the issue too.

Have you installed any video drivers? they're usually called "unrestricted drivers", this may speed it up.
Maybe using chrome instead of firefox may solve the issue too.

already have the drivers install and have tried other browsers and it does the same thing

Only thing that comes to my mind is it has to be mint's driver for wireless? Try updating that as well updating all latest updates available.

have all the latest updates and drivers and this happens on both wireless and wired

What is your network layout? Do you have a modem/router in there? How are all of the devices connected? What are the capabilities of the connected devieces? Once you figure out the answer to these questions you can research things like QoS(Quality of Service) and duplex settings - which could potentially cause your speed decrease when using your connection.

Check to make sure that you can confirm all of the processes active during your attempts to load web pages. The symptoms could point to a security breach or vulnerability that has a third party bandwidth hog.

Do some trace routes to well-known servers (like google's experimental DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Check the results and make comparisons to other well-known addresses obtained by using the ping -a dos command.

Let me know if you see anything suspicious!
Brian

What is your network layout? Do you have a modem/router in there? How are all of the devices connected? What are the capabilities of the connected devieces? Once you figure out the answer to these questions you can research things like QoS(Quality of Service) and duplex settings - which could potentially cause your speed decrease when using your connection.

Check to make sure that you can confirm all of the processes active during your attempts to load web pages. The symptoms could point to a security breach or vulnerability that has a third party bandwidth hog.

Do some trace routes to well-known servers (like google's experimental DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Check the results and make comparisons to other well-known addresses obtained by using the ping -a dos command.

Let me know if you see anything suspicious!
Brian

internet is fine on windows but REALLY slow on linux mint 10, so its not hardware its software

Back