• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Change Registry?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PE553

Registered
Hello guys. I've ordered a 60GB OCZ SSD for my OS, Windows 7 64bit. As per usual, I'll be keeping everything else on my current HDD, a Western Digital Caviar Black.

Once I get to the desktop screen for the first time using the fresh OS and new boot device, I'm assuming everything won't be where I left it...is this correct? (Meaning the same desktop background, the same programs under the windows program menu--and all in working condition) If so, how do I get my computer to look and function exactly as it used to before the OS was put on an SSD?

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Last edited:
Before installing the OS on the new drive and booting from it, just run the Windows Easy Transfer utility found under Accessories -> System Tools. You can choose the Save to USB hard drive option and output it onto your current drive since you'll later format a different hard drive.

Once you install the new OS and boot from the new hard drive, slave the old one up and use the Easy Transfer wizard again to restore everything. If you're missing anything, just pull it off of the old drive. You will have to re-install all your programs if you use this method.

Another method (one that's a bit more complex and requires more resources) is to make an image of your current drive. There are several tools available for people to do this. I'd probably either use the live CD of Clonezilla or use Imagex. Basically, you'll hook both drives up to your system and boot from a live CD containing the cloning tool. You will need more than 50% free disk space on the old hard drive. You'll then create an image on the old drive, and apply the image onto the new drive after it's created (hence why you'll need >50% free space).

The upgrade I'm doing is fairly popular...I would think that most people would opt for the Easy Transfer method?
In any case, I'm still surprised at how much of a process this is though, with either of the two methods you listed. Not that I'm complaining or think it will be hard...it's just not what I expected to have to do.

Anyhoo thanks for the help!

The upgrade I'm doing is fairly popular...I would think that most people would opt for the Easy Transfer method?
In any case, I'm still surprised at how much of a process this is though, with either of the two methods you listed. Not that I'm complaining or think it will be hard...it's just not what I expected to have to do.

Anyhoo thanks for the help!

Both methods are really fairly simple, it's just explaining them in a manner that leaves little room for mis-interpretation. Just understand the basic process and the drawbacks of what you choose to do.... just let us know if you run into any issues with either method you decide to go with.

However, I think most people that do upgrade their hard drive just install windows on the new one, slave the old on and just copy everything they need in Windows. Then they manually install their programs and customize their profile, etc. But I believe you're looking for a method that migrates everything for you.

I'm familiar with Easy Transfer and expect to have no issues therewith. I used it to move most of my files from a laptop to the PC that is getting the SSD upgrade.

But since the files will still be there and I'm not actually moving any of my junk like I was when I used Easy Transfer to move things from one laptop to another computer...can't I just load a copy of my old registry using the new OS? I was under the impression that a registry was like a blueprint for your computer. Maybe I'm crazy but I somehow got it in my head that in some way or through some process I'd be able to use the saved 'blueprint' of my current PC to tell the new OS which is running off of the solid state drive that "hey, all these files are still in these old locations, just go ahead and take note of that". If not than ugh, I need/want to learn some of the more technical aspects of how computers work. :/

The registry is more than just a blueprint, rather it's the core of your windows install. It not only contains every setting, policy, and program data, it also contains many globally unique values that are only relevant on it's native windows install.

You'll likely do more harm than good by copying your registry from the old install onto the new one. If you're willing to go through that hassle, you might as well clone the old install. Cloning seems like the best option to accomplish your goals.

Ah, well, that's a little disappointing. Thanks for consistently responding, though, Templi. Maybe I'll post here once the SSD install has gone successfully.

Back