• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my nf4 ultra-d dead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the_cultie

Switched on my PC this morning and the BIOS splash screen came up but it froze on that screen. I let it sit for a minute or 2 but it did nothing so I hit reset button. The screen went black and the mobo started giving long beeps.

This happened before so I switched off the pc, pulled the power cord and let it sit for a few mins. I plugged it back in but it did the same thing. Usually it would just post as normal.

So I removed the battery and let it for 20 mins but no joy. Tried one graphics card, 1 stick of RAM, hard drives removed but nothing worked.

So as my title asks, is it dead? If anyone has any other ideas or solutions let me know. If not i'll be looking for a replacement board as I can't afford to build a new PC, even though I'm well over due for a new one ;)

Is it showing all four of the status LED's constantly lit when you try to boot?
Hope not.

It could also be you'd need to simply remove & reseat each stick of RAM, sometimes that does the trick.

Well I can answer my own question, it works! It's a miracle!! Don't ask me how or why but it works.

I had checked the RAM separately in all the ram slots and nothing worked. I decided to close it up and so just stuck the RAM in the two orange slots and just for the heck of it switched it on again and it booted. I have no idea why but it works. I'm quite a happy bunny right now.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

If that's all it took then the next time you shut it down I would recommend removing it from the case. It's quite possible with a rig that old that it's got a short in there somewhere, either the PSU or the board itself. A thorough cleaning can sometimes resolve those issues ...

Back