• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech H20-220 Edge Liquid Cooling Kit Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Many of the members at the Overclockers.com forums who are watercooling experts will often advise you to stay away from water cooling 'kits' for a number of reasons. Firstly, the price vs. performance ratios of most kits are poor compared to aftermarket air cooling, and sometimes such kits even perform worse than aftermarket air coolers. Other concerns are the closed loop and not having the ability to upgrade parts. Swiftech reckon they have changed that with its new "Edge" line of water cooling kits. Today we will be reviewing the Swiftech H20-220 Edge Liquid Cooling Kit Review...

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great article! Been wondering about this one and it came in right where I thought it would :thup:

What'd you think of the pump? I've yet to see any hard numbers on the 35x, what was your impression of it?

Thanks for the help news team!!!

As far as the pump, it seems to be a beast. When cranked this thing SOUNDS like its moving lots of water. According to Swiftech's own site, you can add another block and radiator on to it and it will keep on chugging!!!

I was quite surprised at its performance to be honest. :rock:

PS - Is firstly a word? Can someone correct that (1st para)?????

PPS - After looking it up, apparently both First and Firstly can be used. I prefer first! :p

Do you guys really think this audience cares how it compares to STOCK air? Why this site and other sites don't compare water coolers against the top heatsink w/ fans baffles me. :bang head

It would still beat it out as any water loop would with a 2x120 rad with a decent pump and fans, but Im sure you would want specific metrics on it. You are welcome to send me a top of the line air cooler and I will be happy to test it out to get the numbers you are looking for! Sorry we, and apparently other sites, fell short of your expectations, though I feel the data presented here is enough to make an informed decision on the product regardless if you are coming from stock air or one of the better air coolers. ;)

Do you guys really think this audience cares how it compares to STOCK air? Why this site and other sites don't compare water coolers against the top heatsink w/ fans baffles me. :bang head

I see it right reverse. This kit, and thus this article, are pointed at people who may be interested in water cooling but may not be ready to step up to a full custom kit just yet.

For these people it makes perfect sense to include the stock air cooler so they can see just how much performance they can expect.

Of course you are more than welcome to contact companies for test mules and do your own testing/articles.

Great article EarthDog. Good to see a kit that keeps up.

We do compare. You just have to dig into the info. There are many reviews on top air heatsinks, the H50/H70, and this kit.

Maybe you haven't read all the front page reviews.

If you look at the data, and consider the ambient temps, it's pretty easy to see the corellation.

Many of us already know what stock air CPU/GPU cooling temps are like. It's kinda known. What this review in particular does is shows the ability of a basic WC setup, and isn't meant as a shopping list.

I'm a long term audience here and can figure it out all by myself.

This kit, and thus this article, are pointed at people who may be interested in water cooling but may not be ready to step up to a full custom kit just yet.

While it has the name "kit" attached to it, it is a full "custom" loop, it just happens to be all Swiftech parts. You or I can buy any of the parts in the "kit", at about the same price. Swiftech just included some pieces of tubing, instructions, fans and put it in a box.

I agree though - it's a nice article and put together nicely. :thup:

While it has the name "kit" attached to it, it is a full "custom" loop, it just happens to be all Swiftech parts. You or I can buy any of the parts in the "kit", at about the same price. Swiftech just included some pieces of tubing, instructions, fans and put it in a box.

I agree though - it's a nice article and put together nicely. :thup:

I don't think the block is for sale actually...I think it's a special XT with a derlin top instead of the nickel top.

I don't think the block is for sale actually...I think it's a special XT with a derlin top instead of the nickel top.

That's right - it does have a different top, which Swiftech said has no affect on performance, if I remember.

That's right - it does have a different top, which Swiftech said has no affect on performance, if I remember.

That they did, but I'm not sure if I believe them...typically they're pretty straight shooters, but without seeing the inside of both blocks side-by-side (nozzle and pins) I can't really say for certain...It'd be an interesting experiment for sure.

That is correct, and I dont see it for sale on its own, but there really is no difference as far as performance goes between the two I wouldnt imagine. I *think* about the only difference its the XT can use compression fittings with its native top. Correct me if I am wrong?

Its still the same micro-pin structure.

That is correct, and I dont see it for sale on its own, but there really is no difference as far as performance goes between the two I wouldnt imagine. I *think* about the only difference its the XT can use compression fittings with its native top. Correct me if I am wrong?

Its still the same micro-pin structure.

the difference is the reversable outlet methinks...so that you CAN use 3/4"od compressions without a 45deg if you want (I think...don't quote me). The pin structure, however, is only half of the block. The other half of the block is the nozzle which pushes the water into the pins and generates the turbulence in the flow. If that is different performance will almost certainly be different since it's an impingement block.

In addition to all of the other replies (which are spot on), this was IMHO even better than comparing to an air cooler. It was compared to a very strong (and expensive) custom water loop, against which it performed admirably. Do you really need the top air comparison considering how it did against that loop? :shrug:

Excellent write-up as usual EarthDog!

Also fixed the first/firstly thing for you. :)

Great review and looks like water cooling might get more mainstream because of this, but I'm wondering would it get better performance if the fans were on the other side? It looks like the fans are pulling air but nothing is pushing cool air on the heatsink. Do you happen to have push/pull on this kit :clap: Would really wonder what temps you could get if you really pushed this radiators cooling to the max.

Thats the one thing I didnt do was go push/pull, but like most rads, there will be some improvement with a push/pull setup and/or the fans cranked. What exactly that is, I do not know though.

I also thought PUSH is better in most cases, however a smart little birdie (mattno5ss) told me to check out a link from skinee labs. Its in the article I believe (or did I remove it, I dont recall).

Mattno5ss if you have the time can you dig that link up and post it here?

Thanks Hokie on the "first" switch. It just doesnt look or sound right. And apparently its more apprpriate if there is a secondly as the 'format' should remain the same.

Back