• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to do a BIOS update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Laoag24

How do I update my BIOS? I currently have MSI 890FXA-GD70. My question is, If I'll update my BIOS, do I need to reset everything I did there for Overclocking? Or I'll just download the MSI 890FXA-GD70 BIOS Update and install it?:confused:

MSI should have everything you need on their website; BIOS, software for a "in OS" flash, files for a DOS flash, and instructions. I set everything back to stock when BIOS flashing b/c a bad flash can mean a dead mobo.

MSI should have everything you need on their website; BIOS, software for a "in OS" flash, files for a DOS flash, and instructions. I set everything back to stock when BIOS flashing b/c a bad flash can mean a dead mobo.

What do you mean software for a "in OS" flash, files for a DOS flash? \

So, I really need to set everything to stock? before doing a BIOS UPDATE?

Or can I just leave everything I did at bios for overclocking and do a BIOS Update . Would that be fine/safe? If I'll set it back, then I need to redo the OC'ing :( .

There are several different ways to flash a bios: from the "OS", i.e., using a Windows-based flash utility, from a DOS bootable floppy or bootable usb thumb drive, and from the bios if your bios has such a feature. Go to the motherboard manufacturer's website or look in the motherboard owner's manual for instructions. Yes, you should set all the bios parameters to default (F9 key will do it while in bios) before flashing or at least before rebooting into Windows after you flash. Close all open programs if you flash from Windows, esp. your antivirus software.

Some manufacturers have software for you to flash your BIOS while in Windows. Most, however, only have the option to flash via a bootable floppy or USB drive in DOS.

You don't have to set everything back to stock, but if your OC happens to cause the PC to restart or something during the BIOS flash, then you'll have a dead mobo.

Just write all of your OC settings down, reset to default, flash the BIOS, then put all of your settings back.

As they have pointed out and I guess a more direct way of saying it.

YES when you flash the bios it will set the bios back to factory defaults and all of your settings will be gone and you will have to reinstall all of them.

Some manufacturers have software for you to flash your BIOS while in Windows. Most, however, only have the option to flash via a bootable floppy or USB drive in DOS.

You don't have to set everything back to stock, but if your OC happens to cause the PC to restart or something during the BIOS flash, then you'll have a dead mobo.

Just write all of your OC settings down, reset to default, flash the BIOS, then put all of your settings back.

I also changed the memory timings/clocks or whatever thats called in the bios. Do I need to reset the aswell?

-Thanks

Yep, I would do that just to be safe.

Aiight, I'll just reset everything . Then after doing the bios update I'll just put my OC settings back.

-Thanks man.

Btw, MSI 890FXA-GD70 also have the feature Profile where you can save your Oc'ed settings, do you think it will remove that aswell?

Probably, but it wouldn't hurt to save them to a profile, you may get lucky.

No problem. Good luck with the flash.

Just curious, what's your reason for flashing?

No problem. Good luck with the flash.

Just curious, what's your reason for flashing?

I just checked MSI website and there's a bios update for my mobo which is:
- Update CPU AGESA code.
- Update AMD SB version.
- Disabled APS function during over-clock.
- Update AHCI option ROM.
- Support Killer Xeno Pro card.

And I've own this network card Killer Xeno Pro for 3months and It didn't work for me. So when I saw this BIOS update, there was something whispering at back of my head and saying to try it. After the bios update hopefully this network card will work :p

Just a word of caution. Its a good idea to boot back into Windows immediately after flashing the bios before making any changes to settings from default. I've encountered check sum errors and lost hardware function when not observing this precaution.

I just asked MSI forum about this. And they added more steps (weird) could you guys double check? HERE

- They talked about CMOS clearing
- They also talked about MSI HQ USB Flasher

- Are those really necessary in order to do a correct/proper bios update?

IMO, clearing the CMOS (depending on what they mean by that) is a must. I always hit the "Load Safe Defaults" or whatever, then reboot twice, before updating the BIOS. If they mean use the motherboard jumper for a cold reset, no, I don't think that's necessary.

The USB Flash is just another method of updating instead of using a FDD (floppy) and many people swear by that method.

I have ASUS boards and have (for several years now) downloaded the BIOS file and updated using ASUS Windows program, which I've come to trust. I don't know how good the MSI Windows program is so I can't comment on that method for your board.

Back