• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C] OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD Review
by Jeremy Vaughan (hokiealumnus)

ocz-vertex2-07-300x213.jpg

Today we'll be looking at the OCZ Vertex 2 120 GB SSD, which will go head-to-head with the Patriot Inferno 100 GB. Will the Vertex 2 be able to extinguish the flaming Inferno? Read on to find out!

... Return to the article to continue reading.

Discuss this article below. If you are interested in contributing to the front page (www.overclockers.com), please feel free to contact splat, mdcomp, or hokiealumnus. For the latest updates, follow Overclockers.com on Twitter (@Overclockerscom).

Thanks!

For anyone that has already read this, I just updated it with one bench I forgot to include - BootTimer. Less than two hours after it was published I'm not too concerned that a lot of people will have missed it, but just so you know.

Another great review by hokie :thup:

I don't know how you find time to do all of these reviews. Just dedication I suppose.

I actually just bought a 50GB Vertex 2 today for $115, hope it performs as well.

Another well written article!!!

Just note, even with its ATTO's Queue Depth 'limitation' OCZ does state to use that test to make sure you are getting the 'advertised' speeds. The other tests as Tony over there put it, are worst case scenarios. :shrug:

Thanks Hokie for the review ! :thup:

Btw, if you had a chance, could you do raid 0 benchmark with both Vertex 2 and the Patriot Inferno, really interested at the result especially at that SB850 Southbridge.

I don't know how you find time to do all of these reviews. Just dedication I suppose.

I actually just bought a 50GB Vertex 2 today for $115, hope it performs as well.
It's fun. I just really enjoy seeing what hardware can do. :salute:

Congrats on the acquisition, if this is your first SSD, you're going to be amazed!

Another well written article!!!

Just note, even with its ATTO's Queue Depth 'limitation' OCZ does state to use that test to make sure you are getting the 'advertised' speeds. The other tests as Tony over there put it, are worst case scenarios. :shrug:

Interesting comments about ATTO. It did quite well; they both did. The Inferno just out-did the Vertex 2 in that one. :)

Thanks Hokie for the review ! :thup:

Btw, if you had a chance, could you do raid 0 benchmark with both Vertex 2 and the Patriot Inferno, really interested at the result especially at that SB850 Southbridge.

It's possible, but not with the reviews currently on my plate. We're talking next year before I can get to it; sorry it can't be sooner.

I'm not trying to rain on a parade here, but mine failed in 2 weeks. Trying again though!

Not raining on my parade for sure. This drive has been going strong for over a month now. Even after taking that beating of erase/pummel with random data/erase/pummel cycle it's purring along nicely.

Some failures are inevitable no matter how good the QC is. Hope your second drive treats you as well as this one has treated me so far!

To all - thanks for the kind words!

Very nicely written, hokie!

These drives just keep getting better. They are at last big enough to install the OS plus most major applications. I think when a drive of this size and performance gets down to $100 to $150, we'll really be in the sweet spot. (Wish I had the moola for one!:))

I'm not trying to rain on a parade here, but mine failed in 2 weeks. Trying again though!

It happens.

I abuse the crap out of our SSD's and have yet to break one or have it go bad.

It can happen, though. Hence a 3 Year Warranty. Did you get in touch with our support department for an RMA?

I got the same 120 reviewed. I think it's faster than my old Intel 40 GB, But I sure like the room 120 gives me.

Nice writeup, glad my purchase was validated.

Ohh, Newegg, $207 shipped after MIR.

Nice review man.

I installed this drive about a week ago and boy does it preform. Everything seems to be faster on terms of load time and general disk operation. Windows loads in like 2.2s lol/

Another excellent review Jeremy, your meticulousness attention to detail makes your reviews such a value added addition to this forums, I also like the hunourous bits that balance trhe technical threads.

It happens.

I abuse the crap out of our SSD's and have yet to break one or have it go bad.

It can happen, though. Hence a 3 Year Warranty. Did you get in touch with our support department for an RMA?

it got an RMA from newegg. got a new one in the mail this week, setting it up tonight!

Back