• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclock GPU in Biostar TA780G M2+?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bmwracer

Hi all,

I built up a new PC several months ago using a Biostar TA780G M2+ motherboard and Athlon X2 240 CPU and I was looking into overclocking the onboard Radeon HD 3200 GPU, but I've encountered a problem: the BIOS doesn't have an overclocking menu for the GPU even though the BIOS user's manual indicates that such a menu exists.

Any ideas for that discrepancy?

Would a BIOS upgrade give me access to overclocking the GPU or am I hosed?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

How, exactly, does the manual indicate this? Does it reference a "GPU Overclocking Section" or something like that or are you just looking for a GPU (maybe labeled IGP in BIOS) clock speed and memory speed setting???

I downloaded the manual and dont see anything about GPU overclocking...

..Although my past 780G boards have had the option to overclock the GPU.

Here ya go: Biostar TA780G M2+ BIOS Manual, Page 23:

ta780g-bios.jpg

My BIOS doesn't have the extra choices under the "Internal Graphics Mode" heading... :(

I'm going to buy a PCIe video card anyways, but I thought I could play around with the GPU settings and see what kind of results I could get... Motorhead mentality, y'know. :D

May have to update the bios...on one of my boards I had to update to actually get the option to enable the gpu overclock, and hybrid crossfire. And then in a later bios the option got moved to another part of the bios.

I thought I had the latest BIOS version... I'll double check on that.

Thanks.

I did an online BIOS check via Biostar's update tool: I have the latest BIOS. :(

Time to start video card shopping... The Sapphire Radeon HD4670 1GB looks to be the front runner for me at the moment.

For what it's worth, if a game isn't usable with the stock onboard GPU, overclocking it isn't magically going to make it usable, either. The gains are insignificant; I know, I tried with a 790GX board. If you want to do anything besides watch DVDs and surf the web and run Aero, you'll want a real GPU. A 4670 is a decent start.

Are you not getting that option on the Chipset page?
Yeah, I don't get that option on my BIOS... I contacted Biostar, but no response yet.

It's pretty much a moot point since I now I have my Sapphire card, but I am still curious.

I didn't see too much of an improvement, I have 3dmark numbers some where with hybrid crossfire withe gpu overclock and without hybrid crossfire.....

:edit:
Here they are,
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6492777&postcount=8

I didnt have a chance to try it, but I saw much more of an improvement from my upgrade to an Athlon II X4 quad core in say Borderlands, than adding the 3450. I was using a Athlon X2 3400+ 2.8ghz (brisbane) that was slow as molasses. I had already givin away the 3450 before the upgrade though.

I do have a 785g board that I could experiment with....Hmm....

Last edited:
Back