• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800GX2 holding back my QX6850?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ImApC

QX6850 (Not OC'd)
9800GX2
4GB DDR2
2 x 150GB Raptors
Win 7 Ultimate

This system was built by a friend from work who talked me into spend $$$$.$$ on this thing lol, it has served me well for 3 years, but I plan on having a newer rig built early next year. I am donating my current rig to a friend who needs a computer for design. I want to surprise my friend with it, but I was wondering if I should upgrade the GPU or is it a match made in heaven? I mean the card was HOT back in the day, but I don't know now.

Thanks in advance for those who reply.

QX6850 (Not OC'd)
9800GX2
4GB DDR2
2 x 150GB Raptors
Win 7 Ultimate

This system was built by a friend from work who talked me into spend $$$$.$$ on this thing lol, it has served me well for 3 years, but I plan on having a newer rig built early next year. I am donating my current rig to a friend who needs a computer for design. I want to surprise my friend with it, but I was wondering if I should upgrade the GPU or is it a match made in heaven? I mean the card was HOT back in the day, but I don't know now.

Thanks in advance for those who reply.
it wouldn't hurt to toss in a 460 gtx 1 gig for him.direct x 11 Tessellation, and more powerful card and can be had fairly cheep

For design work on a PC, I certainly wouldnt plug anymore money into it and say its fine as is. If he is gaming a lot with it, maybe then go with the 460 1GB suggestion.

What does "design" mean?

If your friend will do direct 3D rendering, like making animations in Maya or Max, than it does not matter if you have the newest GTX580 or 9800GX2 - he will need a special type of video card. So who cares - 9800GX2 or GTX460? Really, that is not the question.
Just keep that 9800GX2 and if your friend will fell that he really needs a new type of VGA, he will get Quadro FX, not GeForce.

Back