• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switching to new Motherboard.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Differ

Hey OC forum,

I recently upgraded to a Gigabyte 790xt usb3 AMD Motherboard, I have all the drivers and everything set up for it to be good to go.

I have backed up my hard drive onto an external so I can Re-Install windows 7 64bit without losing my data.

So whats the best way to do this? Start the computer by using the windows 7 64bit disc, do a custom setup for the new windows and Once its finished installing should I be able to log on and Re-Install all of my data back to my main Hard drive?

Sorry if this seems like a simple question with a simple answer but Its better to ask before I go changing things that are irriversable or could damage my computer!

also sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I thought people who are experienced with changing motherboards might be more helpful than people in the windows forum.

So whats the best way to do this? Start the computer by using the windows 7 64bit disc, do a custom setup for the new windows and Once its finished installing should I be able to log on and Re-Install all of my data back to my main Hard drive?

Yes. You will need to do a fresh install of Windows on your main hard drive because the drivers for the motherboard chipset are different from what they were with your old board and you won't be able to boot into windows with the old installation (more than likely). But you will be able to read the external drive from the new install so if you have your data backed up you can access it with no problem. Does this answer your question?

Last edited:
Yes it does, thank you posting on iPhone while 64bit is installing :)

If it is an OEM copy of windows you may have to get on the phone and that may not work. Good luck and welcome.

Back