• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Virus Removeal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spazztic_Killer

I have a laptop with win 7 on it and it as a virus called wininst.exe and i think its is causing the explorer.exe process to restart and its a pain does anyone know how to remove it easy?

Download MalwareBytes Anti=Malware, then reboot in safe mode (pressing F8 after the BIOS info has shown). Install Malwarebytes once you are into windows, then run a thorough scan.. It should pick up anything that is not supposed to be there. Another good program to have running is SpyBot Search & Destroy. Install this program after you have ran the previously listed program from normal windows , (do not install Tea Timer part) and update it. Then click 'Immunize'. As for general Anti-Virus, I recommend Avast Free Anti-Virus if you don't have a current solution..

ok i have tried to run combofix and antimalware bytes and spybot S&D. But the laptop dont seem to wana stay turned on long enough for me to run them. I think when the pc goes to sleep or into the screen saver it shutsdown.? It is a little bigger than a netbook so it dont have a cd drive. how do i reinstall windows 7?

ok i have tried to run combofix and antimalware bytes and spybot S&D. But the laptop dont seem to wana stay turned on long enough for me to run them. I think when the pc goes to sleep or into the screen saver it shutsdown.? It is a little bigger than a netbook so it dont have a cd drive. how do i reinstall windows 7?

Do you have the power cord plugged in? Also you can change the power settings so that it will not go into sleep mode by right clicking on the desktop, then going to personalize, then click on screensavers, and finally near the bottom of that window I believe is power settings.. adjust the balanced settings to never turn off and you should then be able to run all of the programs without it putting the laptop into sleep mode...

To reinstall windows 7 you would have to have some sort of external harddrive or cdrom (USB most likely) or have a USB flashdrive with windows 7 on it. Then in the BIOS you have to choose 'removable device' as your first boot option.

well i will try and put windows 7 onto a flash drive.
I think it as infected the files in system32 folder like lass.exe,services.exe,etc. Can i boot off of Damn Small Linux and remove the files that way or will it criple the pc?

well i will try and put windows 7 onto a flash drive.
I think it as infected the files in system32 folder like lass.exe,services.exe,etc. Can i boot off of Damn Small Linux and remove the files that way or will it criple the pc?

It all depends on if they were actually replaced by the virus, or if you are just seeing another file named like those. If you don't care about losing the OS then try to delete them that way and see what happens! :) Make sure your personal data is backed up first!

I don't have much faith in extracting a virus from windows systems. It's always been "export files and reinstall OS" in my history :/ You can't know which files were compromised, assuming the virus got admin level privlages, you really can't assume anything, so even if you remove certain files the virus could be hiding in at the tail end of some dime a dozen exe file and just pop up again at the next boot.

right so what i am doing is booting into fedora from a flash drive, and backing up the whole drive, and after it copies all the files over i will put the windows 7 installer on the flash drive and install it. And i will plug in the ex. hdd into my desktop and run kaspersky scanner and malware bytes.

Sounds fine by me. Kaspersky is pretty reliable as far as a good virus scanner goes. Interesting that you chose fedora; nothing bad about it; buntu live cd's just seem to be the weapon of choice in this process nowadays.

I agree with you Ninth but i dont have the newest one downloaded so I have many linux oses download i just like the way ubuntu and fedora handles external hdd's. But I have found over 2,500 virus on it so but its clean and works like a charm now thanks alot.

Back