• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shader squeal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Does this mean that there is not enough voltage to the card, meaning the caps spend more time being empty, then with a full charge? If so, is there an app I can use to adjust the voltage? The evga one installs, but is blanked out I think maybe because of a driver bug..

Its coil squeal. And outside of spplying clear nail polish (what I heard on the web that stops it) I dont think there is anything you can do about it.

Thanks!

I was curious because there is a distinct change in frequency when I change the clock speed heheh.

Happens to a lot of my cards. I noticed that its worse when the card is not warmed up fully (when you first boot up)
I have also heard of the nail polish trick, never tried it though.

As for your evga precision problems, what drivers are you using, and what version of precision?

every single one of my video cards squeal when folding. everything is fine, nothing is ruined.

Happened on my old 8800GT when it was new. It faded away after a good few days of thrashing :)

My 8800gt is also nice and quiet :)

Happens to a lot of my cards. I noticed that its worse when the card is not warmed up fully (when you first boot up)
I have also heard of the nail polish trick, never tried it though.
As for your evga precision problems, what drivers are you using, and what version of precision?

After awhile of running at X clock it calms down, just at first you can really hear it :D
As for precision, it runs just fine, I am useing the most current version, as well as the current nvidia drivers. It just the voltage tuner doesnt seem to work anymore, I do have an xfx so maybe they decided to cut us off, because it used to work. To be honest Im not sure what version it was, I just googled and hit the first link heheh.

every single one of my video cards squeal when folding. everything is fine, nothing is ruined.

Oh yeah all of mine have squealed too. I actually cant recall any of the high end cards Ive had over the years that didnt.. there was one but I cant remember wich one lol. I was just being paranoid because I couldnt get it to fold on both cores reliably for very long. That to me is like haveing bad ram, it sux

I did just want to say running gpu2 and gpu3 together are giveing me a little more stable results so far :thup:

When you get old enough, you won't hear it anymore. One of the endless advantages of age.

:rofl:

I must be getting old, because i cant hear in squeals from my GTX460's... The GTX260 that I have on the other hand, squeals like crazy...

I can't hear any squeals over the 12 fans I have running in my case :D

I barely hear the squeal from my 9800GT anymore. When it was new, the squeal was pretty rampant, and I still hear it when I am playing with the clocks, and testing with Furmark. Then it kind of starts to sound like a quiet siren.:p

Back