• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

64bit or 32?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

winterone

Registered
Kinda not expert on this subject. I'm still using XP on my older system... I'm upgrading quite a bit. (for gaming) Thinking of switching to Windows 7 to take advantage of direct x 11. Whats the difference in 32 or a 64 bit version?

64 Bit can handle more than 4GB of RAM if you needed it.

32 Bit is more compatible with older hardware/software so than can = less headaches. Being able to fully use a 6GB or a 8GB RAM system is the only real reason to go with 64-Bit (that much RAM is more than most people need.) If you want to be able to use older printers/scanners/software then go 32-Bit.

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ASUS EAH4850 Radeon HD 4850 1GB DDR3 @ 625 MHz GPU & 1986 MHz Memory
OCZ Agility 60GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

x64 all the way for the reasons already listed. Plus the driver support is there, so it's almost a no brainer if you want to go north of 4GB. :)

1 more vote for 64bit. Unless you have crazy old scanners/printers like c627627 said.

MS is already moving their servers to 64bit only and there are alot of rumors that their next consumer OS will be 64bit only also. The world is slowing moving to 64bit and the "early adopter" phase is long over, there really isn't a reason to not to go 64bit its pretty much the standard now on all new machines.

Neither my older hardware nor older software worked with 64-Bit whereas 32-Bit Windows 7 does.

I installed this program, MemInfo 2.2:
http://www.carthagosoft.net/meminfo.zip

It displays digits in my Taskbar of how much RAM is being used. I have never hit anywhere near 4GB and if I did - that would be the only reason to give up 32 Bit before Windows 8 replaces Windows 7.

Given that you only have 2gb of ram, i would go with 32bit. 64bit eats more ram then 32, and you don't have a lot of excess ram.

If you have only 2GB of ram I would go with 32-Bit version, but if you are getting more memory go with 64-Bit.

Go 64 and never look back. If you say you are upgrading, I'd assume you are using at least 4gb of ram...

I'm with C6 on this one. I've run into countless small issues with 64 bit windows that magically disappear with the 32 bit version. I would only use 64 bit if you are using 4GB or more RAM.

...and since that is the only reason, who uses 6 GB of RAM or 8? Professional Photoshop machines in Advertising agencies?
Do Games really eat it up where they're not as good on 4 GB as they are on 6 or 8? I don't know maybe they do, I'm just asking.

im currently using 4130mb of ram. Mostly that's 11 threads of rosetta@home.

Ok well let's figure it out then. Folding machines. Who else?

As noted earlier, Adobe CS5 suite users, although I believe this group is not exclusive to ad agencies. MS DB app development also benefits, as MSSQL/Visual Studio/IIS, etc... enjoys ample RAM. Virtualization, as noted previously; programs requiring XP mode can benefit here as well. Serious multi-tasking can also eat up RAM quite quickly

Keep in mind that virtually all software will have greater RAM requirements moving forward. Therefore, if it's a new system and no legacy hardware/software is being used, I'd advocate 64-bit for the future-proofing benefits.

For the majority of users, a 64-bit OS poses no problems. Most of our new builds are 64-bit now and I've yet to receive a complaint. Newer models of legacy hardware that typically need to be replaced, such as scanners and printers, work so much better than the old ones that the customer is much happier in the end. Those with expensive/exotic legacy hardware/software are the exception.

Last edited:
well I'm currently sitting at 60% of my 4 gig in use right now. If you take away the 1 GB I'd lose on a 32 bit system since I have a 1 GB GPU I'd have 600 MB left over. With todays gaming GPU's having such large VRAM it's not just to ability to use more than 4 gig of memory but even the ability to use 2 or 3 depending on your GPU.

I have personally seen a couple programs that wouldn't run on my 64bit install, but they definitely were not deal breaking programs and the problem I believe is in the program not the OS as a 64bit OS will run 32 bit apps. If people keep clinging to 32 bit it will just hold back development for 64 bit apps.

I'm not saying there isn't a place for some people to stick with 32 bit (usually business using proprietary software) but most arguments I've seen (not to be argumentative but this includes you too c627627) list obscure programs that most people probably don't use and likely never even heard of before. That or your trying to run old software on a new OS which can be just as much of an issue as the 32-64 debate.

To me to make a solid argument for someone to hold on to 32 bit I'd have to see a solid reason a necessary peice of software or hardware they need that won't work in 64 bit.

...and since that is the only reason, who uses 6 GB of RAM or 8? Professional Photoshop machines in Advertising agencies?
Do Games really eat it up where they're not as good on 4 GB as they are on 6 or 8? I don't know maybe they do, I'm just asking.

Many modern games do benefit from having more than 2GB (32bit windows limits a single application to 2gb even though the whole system can use 3-3.5ish) of ram. I'm not really a gamer so I don't know which ones, thats just what I've read.

I'm not saying there isn't a place for some people to stick with 32 bit (usually business using proprietary software) but most arguments I've seen (not to be argumentative but this includes you too c627627) list obscure programs that most people probably don't use and likely never even heard of before. That or your trying to run old software on a new OS which can be just as much of an issue as the 32-64 debate.

This is pretty much my feeling on the debate also. Unlike 2005, 2006, into 2007, and maybe 2008, mainstream programs and hardware just work in 64 bit now. Manufaturers and developers have finally caught on and its not an issue for mainstream/normal users.

This isn't to discredit the concerns that people like c627627 have, but rather to point out that in threads like this where someone is asking for advice the answer is very likely that they won't have compatability problems. If someone were using some really old program they probably know about it.

Last edited:
64 BIT dont mind the people stuck in the past that say there are problems that just simply go away in 32 bit versions.

if i remember correctly 32bit vista had more problems than 64 bit and i use 64 bit vista and 7 daily with out any OS problems.

also if you buy a regular (not upgrade) copy of 7 cant you install 64 bit or 32 bit with that same copy and change it over under the same license?

People always list the main 64/32 bit difference as being more addressable ram space, but it's also reputedly a bit faster; something to do with being able to do operations with a larger int value. I may be pulling this out of my ***, but I recall getting in an argument with a professor a while back on this topic.

basically, there's no reason not to go with 64 bit :/ everything has support for it nowadays...

People always list the main 64/32 bit difference as being more addressable ram space, but it's also reputedly a bit faster; something to do with being able to do operations with a larger int value. I may be pulling this out of my ***, but I recall getting in an argument with a professor a while back on this topic.

basically, there's no reason not to go with 64 bit :/ everything has support for it nowadays...

On 64 bit apps I believe this is true but not on 32 bit apps. A good example would be benchmarking where 32 bit is the king of almost all programs (and funny enough Vista is the 3D choice)

Back