Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile

HELP Cache in Windows 7 64

To save me a lot of time and headache does anyone know where the registry key for disk cache size is? I am doing some HTPC work using 16Gigs of memory and a Partiot 8GB high speed USB flash drive to find the best setup for power efficency.

I will give credit in my article for any help I get and will add a special thanks to OCF and perhaps I can get a sister article worked up for here as well.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Daily Driver i7 3740QM T530
    Work Rig/networked backup - i7 4770K@4.4, 24GB Ram, 7850 GFX Bedroom PC - i7 870 @ 3.4, 16GB Ram, 6670 GFX
    Home School PC (kids) SB Celery @1.6, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram
    Game Rig (kids)- 3570K@4.7, 12GB Ram, 465GTX + 9800GT (PhysX) using intel SRT
    Test Bed - In flux

Heatware Profile
    Think this is it ...

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/7106-windo...-of-disk-cache

Hope that helps, doesn't seem like you can set a specific size however.
    HEAT
    Motherboard --------- BIOSTAR TPower I45
    CPU ------------------- Intel E8600 @ 4GHz
    Memory -------------- 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 1066
    Cooling --------------- Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
    HDDs ----------------- Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
    Graphics Card ------- MSI HD4870 OC Edition
    Soundcard ----------- Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer
    Case ------------------ Antec Nine Hundered
    Power Supply -------- OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W
    OS -------------------- Win 7 Pro x64, Mint Debian x64

Thanks I have seen similar things. I guess I thought it would be like the old days when you could actually set a cache size so the HDD would shut down. I will see what happens with this but I honestly feel there are some lines (code or registry) somewhere that will actually allow me to do two things.

I want to use the USB key as virtual memory and use 8-12 gigs of the memory as cache.

I used to play with registry and system settings all the time. Hell I had 720K conventional memory avalible in MS-Dos by simply observing what reserved memory in the UMB area were not used. Win3 did not like it but Geo Works did great.

Anyway I do appreciate the link. OH btw anyone following this thread: CCC and other ATi software may not play nice with a large system cache.
    People that buy OEM systems think Linux was a Charlie Brown character, a registry is something you see at target to buy shower gifts, RAM is a Dodge truck and a hard drive is DC at rush hour.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Work Rig/networked backup - i7 4770K@4.4, 24GB Ram, 7850 GFX Bedroom PC - i7 870 @ 3.4, 16GB Ram, 6670 GFX
    Home School PC (kids) SB Celery @1.6, 4GB Ram, On Chip GFX Living Room HTPC - E-450@1.9 GHz, 4GB Ram
    Test Bed - In flux

Premium Member #21

Author Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    Hey Archer, long time no see.

Maybe using the USB key as a (dedicated or partial) paging file would help? Then you could modify the power settings to spin down the HD. That and/or using it for ReadyBoost?

Good luck either way, looking forward to seeing your article. Will you be posting it over at tech reaction?

Quote Originally Posted by Jmtyra View Post
    Hey Archer, long time no see.

Maybe using the USB key as a (dedicated or partial) paging file would help? Then you could modify the power settings to spin down the HD. That and/or using it for ReadyBoost?

Good luck either way, looking forward to seeing your article. Will you be posting it over at tech reaction?

Well I already have it in the works at tR but as far as something else I am working on I will probably post at both (OCers and tR) with a little bit of a twist for each.

I can't get the USB to run as VM though I had no issues in XP. I think I may actually spread this out over a year if I get mad at MS for taking more advanced user control away from advanced users.

At the moment I am using 6 gigs oif the flash for DC (Boinc) work and trying to take the load off of the HDD with hopes of letting the HDD shut down at times. I have VM disabled but I still don't get the HDD to shutdown like I like. A 4 to 8gig ram disk may be in order if I can get one set up with win 7.

I have a lot of work to do with this OS. I sware every new windows gives people like me less control and more of us move to alternate operating systems.
    Current Active Fleet:
    Test Bed - In flux