• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP Cache in Windows 7 64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
To save me a lot of time and headache does anyone know where the registry key for disk cache size is? I am doing some HTPC work using 16Gigs of memory and a Partiot 8GB high speed USB flash drive to find the best setup for power efficency.

I will give credit in my article for any help I get and will add a special thanks to OCF and perhaps I can get a sister article worked up for here as well.

Thanks I have seen similar things. I guess I thought it would be like the old days when you could actually set a cache size so the HDD would shut down. I will see what happens with this but I honestly feel there are some lines (code or registry) somewhere that will actually allow me to do two things.

I want to use the USB key as virtual memory and use 8-12 gigs of the memory as cache.

I used to play with registry and system settings all the time. Hell I had 720K conventional memory avalible in MS-Dos by simply observing what reserved memory in the UMB area were not used. Win3 did not like it but Geo Works did great.

Anyway I do appreciate the link. OH btw anyone following this thread: CCC and other ATi software may not play nice with a large system cache.

Hey Archer, long time no see. ;)

Maybe using the USB key as a (dedicated or partial) paging file would help? Then you could modify the power settings to spin down the HD. That and/or using it for ReadyBoost?

Good luck either way, looking forward to seeing your article. Will you be posting it over at tech reaction?

Hey Archer, long time no see. ;)

Maybe using the USB key as a (dedicated or partial) paging file would help? Then you could modify the power settings to spin down the HD. That and/or using it for ReadyBoost?

Good luck either way, looking forward to seeing your article. Will you be posting it over at tech reaction?

Well I already have it in the works at tR but as far as something else I am working on I will probably post at both (OCers and tR) with a little bit of a twist for each.

I can't get the USB to run as VM though I had no issues in XP. I think I may actually spread this out over a year if I get mad at MS for taking more advanced user control away from advanced users.

At the moment I am using 6 gigs oif the flash for DC (Boinc) work and trying to take the load off of the HDD with hopes of letting the HDD shut down at times. I have VM disabled but I still don't get the HDD to shutdown like I like. A 4 to 8gig ram disk may be in order if I can get one set up with win 7.

I have a lot of work to do with this OS. I sware every new windows gives people like me less control and more of us move to alternate operating systems.

Back