• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Headphone port not working on laptop.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gravitywell

I have an Asus G50vt I got from Best Buy almost two years ago.

Its still an awesome machine, and I'd like to not replace it yet if I dont have to.

So here's the story. WoW Cataclysm came out, and I've been playing it off and on since it did. Yesterday, I had the day off and was playing pretty much all day. I religiously use my headphones because I have two other people in the house and I know how obnoxious video games sounds are if you're not the one playing them. So my girl called me, and I took the headphones off, and sat them on the couch. I talked to her for a few minutes, took a restroom break and ventured into the kitchen. When I came back, the headphones didn't work anymore. I checked settings and reinstalled drivers and tried the headphones on two other devices (they worked on my home theater and my winphone7.)

Sound works when I unplug the headphones via the speakers, but as soon as I plug in the headphones, I get nothing. I used compressed air to clean out the ports, I checked settings and the driver suite for my Realtek audio detects I'm plugging something into the headphone jack, but the audio isn't coming out. Occassionally I can hear extremely quite garbled sounds, but that's maybe once every ten minutes.

Is there anything I can do? Or am I cursed to game without sound for a little while?

Well looks like the head phone port flopped. Have you tried any other headphones or external speakers on the port? If you don't want to replace your Laptop or any internals than I suggest to get a external sound card either by USB or express card slot. IF not then you'll have to get the port it self replaced. http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blaster-XFi-Notebook/M/B001BS3A3E.htm or this http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blaster-XFi-Go/M/B002651ZNI.htm. Get some cheapo USB sound card or a Headset with it's on sound card and you should be good to go.

Audio ports don't just stop working randomly, something caused it.

Most likely, you have a software issue. The other option is the ribbon cable came unplugged within the computer. You'd have to take it apart to check that and will probably void whatever is left of your warranty.

EDIT: Also, do you have another source to check your headset on?

The primary headphones indeed work in my Windows Phone 7 and my iPod touch.

A second pair of known working earbuds do not work in the headphone port on the laptop. I did notice that with the earbuds I hear a very quiet faint garbled sound. It's nothing recognizable as far as what else should be heard.

I've again uninstalled the drivers, downloaded the newest drivers posted on Asus' website (Certified in 2009.) for the sound card. They still don't work. I also deleted the drivers and let windows install its default drivers, I get the same exact effect. Sound on speakers, no sound on headphones.

The primary headphones indeed work in my Windows Phone 7 and my iPod touch.

A second pair of known working earbuds do not work in the headphone port on the laptop. I did notice that with the earbuds I hear a very quiet faint garbled sound. It's nothing recognizable as far as what else should be heard.

I've again uninstalled the drivers, downloaded the newest drivers posted on Asus' website (Certified in 2009.) for the sound card. They still don't work. I also deleted the drivers and let windows install its default drivers, I get the same exact effect. Sound on speakers, no sound on headphones.

have you tried going into the control panel and going to sound and checking the settings for the headphones?

Back