• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best mobo for an overclocked/unlocked X3 740BE?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brucethemoose

Registered
I'm building a pretty cheap gaming computer, and I'm looking for an ATX mobo that will easily run a pretty heavily OC'd, unlocked Phenom II X3 740 BE, and one that that will hopefully be able to unlock the X3 and turn it into an X4. A 140W TDP board would be nice (if I'm going for overkill), but what type of motherboard do I really need for an unquestionably safe overclock with this processor?

Can I get a mobo for this setup for under $100, or even better, around $75? Price being most important factor, what do you recommend? I don't need integrated video (obviously), or even integrated audio, as I have a good sound card. Nor do I care about RAID, and I have a spacious case that can fit even the most inconvenient motherboard.

:welcome: to OCF!

Any board you get is going to have audio on it and most cheap boards will have on-board video as well, though you can always disable one or both of those if you like.

The only things I can recommend in general are:
- get a board that has MOSFET cooling (heatsink between the CPU and rear panel)
- make sure it has CPU and cpuNB voltage adjustment
- make sure the cpuNB speed can be set independently

Without those BIOS options you won't get a very good overclock.
(Note: most board manuals are available on-line so if you see a board that might fit your needs you can check to see what's adjustable in BIOS.)

I'm sorry I can't recommend a specific board in that range - I just don't know them well enough. From what I've seen I would stay away from Jetway ...

Back