• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just joined - looking for advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yomama

Got a little fed up with SETI's on/off servers and looking for a new challenge (sort of). Currently crunching 8 Units 4 each with a Q6600 and 4 with my new OC system Phenom IIx4B55@3800. Can anyone comment on what numbers I should be able to expect from these machines? Installed Boinc and tweaked it according to the SETI thread - not running CUDA. Any advice is appreciated.

Not sure about what your RAC should be, but from the previous crunching (RAC Harvest Contest) I do know it takes about a week or so to "level out" your RAC.

I'm sure one of the Rosetta experts can probably point you to a RAC db of CPU estimates, or at least give you an idea. Personally I'm a RAC 'n00b' else I would help you out.

Happy crunching! :)

Not sure the OC on your Q6600, but at ~3.6GHz you should be seeing 2500-3000RAC after a few weeks of 24/7 crunching. Somewhere the same with your Phenom should put you between 5 and 6K I'd imagine. Again, that's if you're running 24/7, it's a bit hard to gauge otherwise.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to the team! :welcome:

Welcome.. though not sure the SETI enhancements work on rosetta.. i believe they are purely for seti work.. i could be wrong on that

Welcome! And SETI enhancements don't work for Rosetta. Would be great if the Rosetta community could cook some up, though.

Yeah, Rosetta is pretty much CPU horsepower related for crunching power. No optimizations and no GPU client. With that said, bad's guess on the Q6600 RAC is pretty much right on; my experience with the 940BE system shows it to be a bit lower in RAC though. I have found that Yorkfleld quads tend to do a little better than the Q6600 and I have found the LGA1366 quads and hex cores to be absolute crunching MONSTERS! My 980X is around 8k RAC and the 930 is looking like it might go around 5-6k RAC once it levels out.

I've found the AMD quads to be very good indeed for rosetta, I would guess at around 3.5-4k for that system, the 2.5 to 3 sounds about right for the intel quad.
Rosetta is pretty much all about clocks and cores as far as anybody can tell.

Given the lack of a GPU client (oh well) you could still run some GPU seti or GPU FAH or somesuch too.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, and welcome to the team, too!

Given the lack of a GPU client (oh well) you could still run some GPU seti or GPU FAH or somesuch too.

This is what I used to do when I had a couple of 4890's. Grabbed some dummy plugs off Torin and voila! 24/7 Rosie/F@H combo!

Back