• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS M4A78T-E wont let video card go to 16x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackzero

Registered
video card: xfx 5770 HD-577A-ZNFC
mobo: ASUS M4A78T-E (790gx, sb50)

So I checked and my card is running in 8x mode. I have only one card, its in the blue slot. The slot is labeled pci ex 16x 1.

I don't care if 8x is not going to slow down the card I want it at 16x to know my system is all good(for when i get a bad boy card).

So I went to bios and played around. I found:
PCIE frequency set at 100 (i tried bumping this up to 110 and 115 did not help.)

Under chipset > rs780d config > pci express config I have:
Port #02 - #07
port #02 and #03 where the only ones that had link width higher than 4x.
under the a port # I have
Gen2 high speed mode
link aspm
link width

So I Changed the link width to 1x, 2x, 4x etc. Each time I changed it, it changed in gpuz and cpuz. When I changed it to 16x it stayed at 8x. I don't get it.

So I pulled out the mobo book half the options where not in the book, the ones that where in the book just listed settings not what they done.

I cant find nothing with google. can anyone help

edit: Not a contact issue. I removed the card cleaned the slot and the card. put back in the card. No change.
edit 2: updated bios to newest still no go. stuck at 8x. :(

Thanks
Blackzero

Last edited:
don't have those options :(

edit: i use the video card hdmi sound. would this be a issues like with the 8xx chipset and usb3.0 taking up pci lanes?

Last edited:
I can put up photos of the bios if you like.

edit: i downloaded the manual and all the bios stuff is right but the pci-e tab. and thats what i got listed up there.

Last edited:
thats it. on that page before it says pick primary card pci, pci-e, onboard

ok this is what i got:

Advanced (this is a tab at top of the page)
***** Chipset (this is the option i pick to get to video card stuff in advanced tab)
******* northbridge Config (an option under chipset)
************* ram ecc stuff (option's under northbridge)
******* RS780D Config (an option under chipset)
************ Internal graphics config (an option under RS780D)
************ Pci express Config (an option under RS780D)
************** port #02 (an option under Pci express Config)
************** Port #03 (an option under Pci express Config)
************** etc..
************ primary display adapter (an option under RS780D)

just one card and thats my 5770. I emailed tech support today. I was hoping some one had this issue with the 5770 or the mobo and could help.

Thanks for your help yet again.

Blackzero

Update. They Want me to try another pcie card in my mobo and try my pcie card in another pc.

So now i'm like S%$*. I dont have another card or a mobo pcie.

Edit: I buddy lent me his Ubuntu box it has pcie 2.0 but how can i check the link with in linux? Is there something i could use to boot from a usb to check?

Okay I sent this card in for a rma due to a issue they sent me a refurbished card back. Could they have somehow goofed and made the card think it was in crossfire so it puts itself in 8x? I ask because well i put it in a box with vista i did not know what version pcie it was. come to find out it was pcie 1.0. Well the card was in pcie 1.0 8x mode. It said it could be in 16x, so I rebooted made sure the setting was on 16x sure enough it was.

Last edited:
Back