• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bought Windows 7 System Builder pack

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Runwitme

Registered
I bought this thinking it was how you buy windows, and assumed by the name that it is for people building a system. I received it in the mail today to see the package say :

If you open this package:

Each individual software license inside this package may only be distributed with a fully assembled computer system.

If the individual software license is for a desktop operating system or application software, it also must be preinstalled on the hard drive of the fully assembled computer system, using the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK).

This preinstallation requirement does not apply to server software.

I know this is my mistake for not reading further, but now I am mad I wasted $100.

Is there anyway I can still use this?

The software should work fine unless Microsucks has gone braindead again? Typically what this means is that if you were a system builder selling PCs you'd need to install the software on the customer's PC and provide them with the license number and user disk when you ship the PC. You can call Microsucks for clarification if some special "OPK" is actually required?

Thanks, it says the OPK is in the package. I wish I would have noticed this when I was buying, nothing about it was in the description.

So for 100% clarification, I should open the dang thing and try to install it.

I have all my parts but waiting on FedEx for the case to arrive sometime today.

Buying OEM packs is the only way I buy MS software. The only exception with Win7 is that you must know whether or not you want the 32 or 64 bit version. You only get 1 cd, whereas retail has both versions. There is no difference in functionality between the two. Your key will work on either version. If its for a personal computer and you don't want the fancy box or manual, then save yourself the cash. As long as you use the key on only one computer, then you won't have issues with MS. I have installed and activated the same OEM version multiple times during hardware rebuilds. If I made a lot of hardware changes in a short span, it prompts you to call and get the activation code. Tell them its for your existing computer you upgraded and that is all it will take.

Back