• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 6970/6950 Review repository

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Performance is less than stellar, but I think we will see some huge gains once the driver team learns how to properly deal with the new architecture.

In my opinion AMD launched the card at a very competitive price point, I was hoping it would contend with the GTX 580 so yes that leaves me a bit disappointed as I was hoping the 6970 would take the stand above nvidia top dog. That said looking at the price it makes it a very attractive buy...with new drivers and some price settling it will be a great card to have in a collection of high end cards.

just like their processors, they are aiming to win the price/performance battle in the mid-level and below markets.

Still, the overclocking is still yet to be seen and with not much of a performance gain over the 58xx series, it doesnt give us a good option on upgrading. Seems the gains of the GTX480>580 were much greater than the 5870>6970.

Again, drivers may help but I already saw 1 10.12 driver review and it doesnt look a whole lot better. I might actually pickup a GTX470 if they drop in price.

May not be worth the money if you already have a nice 5*** card, but very attractive price for those in need of one in my opinion.

I was also thinking at that...
Upgrade isn't for now. They have some work to do with tesselation until I'll really consider this new gen. Just hope not everyone will act like me and sell their old card :p
Time for CF!

Can we have a 6970/50 good deal repository for those of us who want one but can't afford it haha

There are several games that use it, and more coming out every month. It appears right now to be a trend, and the better the card is at it, the better it will perform in games that use it.

There are several games that use it, and more coming out every month. It appears right now to be a trend, and the better the card is at it, the better it will perform in games that use it.

HAWX%202%20Scaling.png

Check out the scaling chart, though. The Radeon HD 6970, despite losing out to all of Nvidia’s competing cards, comes a lot closer to matching the competition’s scaling profile here, and the Radeon HD 6950 does even better.

It’s interesting that none of Nvidia’s GeForce boards scale based on the number of available PolyMorph engines. They all get stuck around 73% of their performance with tessellation turned on. This is almost assuredly what enables AMD’s cards to “catch up.

I am wondering why nVidia and AMD in particular have so much difficult to scale tessellation on?

As far as the data provided, I would like to see a link to the entire article so I can read it when you have a chance. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the link!

Its the same across the board for Nvidia which is the perplexing part to me. The 460 1GB has less polymorph engines (or w/e) than the 580 but still takes the same hit as the 580???

Tesselation while helping make things look better, still have a performance hit, just like any other IQ improving feature (AA/AF, etc).

Tried to find something on google but nothing really good yet... If you have any idea, I'd be interested to know the cause if it's not too complex :temper:

Not to shabby.. Im due for a new video card and will probably get one of these. Now its the $80 question, is getting the 6970 worth the price increase? :) Really we are talking about increased shaders on the card, @ the expense of more default core clock for 50W more power consumption (TDP that is).

And the upping of power and dual boot bios onboard the card (1 for flashing and 1 normal non-flashable bios) is A SWEEET feature. Right there that seals the deal for getting one of these cards over nVidia for tweaking reasons. If it can go 20% surely there are some tweaking to be done to get it to go even more.

Last edited:
You card is really good for now. You won't gain much with a 6970.

The 6950 has a better value (edit: check the review above).
If I was you, I'd wait until upgrade as some revision board could not have that gay power controller (limiting you overclock headroom). This is speculation but I'm pretty sure that's what going to happen as new board will have better cooling performance. Thus manufacturers won't fear to have fried card RMA.

You card is really good for now. You won't gain much with a 6970.

The 6950 has a better value (edit: check the review above).
If I was you, I'd wait until upgrade as some revision board could not have that gay power controller (limiting you overclock headroom). This is speculation but I'm pretty sure that's what going to happen as new board will have better cooling performance. Thus manufacturers won't fear to have fried card RMA.

The power controller doesn't really have me up in a huff. Its nice to have the option to not be power sucking and for that added performance an easy way to increase my clocks. Since its software based, and probably has OCP onboard the card there will be limits.

As for my card... its nearly 2 years old :p Its time to upgrade and I want DX11 capabilites so upgrading is something im eyeing.

The 6900s were the cards that had everyone was shouting "Forget the 6800 series, its the 6900 that will be the flagship cards that will pwn everything AMD has + nvidia!"

Mediocrity strikes again.

LOL

Never saw any expectations that high.

Nobody even speculated, really. AMD was good at keeping out leaks/misleading us.

Other than a few guesses I made, in which my estimations were within 10% of gtx500's performance. And that's pretty much where Cayman ended up in most games, with unsupported drivers. Some games it was less, some games they actually matched the 500's at high res w/ AA.

Back