• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me choose 6950,6970,6990

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peeved Kitten

Ok, I'm not happy with my 5870 and I want to move up. Reading the reviews everyone seems to like the idea of picking up a 6950 and OCing it.

I'm after a dual GPU config this time though, and I cant decide between xfiring or waiting on the 6990 and buying a single dual GPU card.

I have no issues dropping waterblocks on both cards or the 6990, for OCing. I do believe I have more than enough rad to handle that, although I may need a second pump to up my flow-rate.

If you guys had the choice how would you handle it?

Twin 6950's OCed

Twin 6970's OCed

Single 6990 OCed (I know we have no performance data on this to date.)

If you had read a bit the reviews, you would learn that there's a power controller. Thus, when your card is drinking too much juice, the controller limits the quantity of power. So even if you're OCing to high value, you won't have any benefit as the card performance will peak once the limited value is reached.

To make it short, I don't think it worths to spend for block & extra pump for the above reason. Also, I don't understand why you're not happy with your actual card. The new ones aren't super mega wow better...The performance you'll gain doesn't justify the extra cost.

If you still want to buy new cards, let me know if you're selling your actual one :)

If you had read a bit the reviews, you would learn that there's a power controller. Thus, when your card is drinking too much juice, the controller limits the quantity of power. So even if you're OCing to high value, you won't have any benefit as the card performance will peak once the limited value is reached.

To make it short, I don't think it worths to spend for block & extra pump for the above reason. Also, I don't understand why you're not happy with your actual card. The new ones aren't super mega wow better...The performance you'll gain doesn't justify the extra cost.

If you still want to buy new cards, let me know if you're selling your actual one :)

Looks to me like you can set the power control limits, so that isn't likely to be an issue.

Even if the 6990 is a pair of 6970s on one board, two 6970s will almost certainly beat it, at least by a bit.
A dual gpu board is still stuck with a single 16x pcie slot, where two boards in crossfire/sli have the possibility of a 16x slot each.
Obviously that requires a motherboard with two 16x slots.

Last edited:
^ I agree, why are you not happy with the 5870? Its a great card.

The 6950 is not that much better than the 5870. Since you are after a CF setup why not grab another 5870?

Does anyone know if the MSI version will have voltage control through Afterburner? If it does I'm probably going to order one and a waterblock today. The 5870 will go up for sale if I do.

As for why I'm unhappy with the 5870 I'll be honest. The OC utility from Asus and me are not friends. I've found it exceptionally buggy/useless, others haven't had issues so it may just be me.

Looks to me like you can set the power control limits, so that isn't likely to be an issue.

Even if the 6990 is a pair of 6970s on one board, two 6970s will almost certainly beat it, at least by a bit.
A dual gpu board is still stuck with a single 16x pcie slot, where two boards in crossfire/sli have the possibility of a 16x slot each.
Obviously that requires a motherboard with two 16x slots.

You can control +/-20% with the power limit (which should take into account the voltage used), so you'll be maxed at something like 300W on the 6970 and 250W with the 6950. Unlocked firmware should allow full control of limits (I'd imagine).

Back