• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SSD modding.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uberwoot

So im looking to mod a 80gig Intel X-25MG2. Just wanna see if i can do it.

Back story i work at a electronics manufacture so i got access to expensive tools and components at dirt cheap prices.

To my understanding the X-25M's all have the same pcb. Only the 40gig uses 5ic's 80 uses 10ic's and the 160 uses 20ics. The IC locations are numbered on the pcb so this is what i was wondering. We had some spare ic's same as those used on the X25-M's 8gig chips, I checked. So i got a spare 80gig X25MG2 i don't use any more and i was thinking about trying to see if i can turn the 80gig into a 128gig. So i got a question.

Do the X25-M's all share the same firmware? If so does anyone know if its just 40,80 and 160? If it wont support 160 im going to try and order 5 more from the supplier Monday and go all out but i would like to test it with whats on hand,

Anywho if anyone can shed some light in on this i'll start the project soon and post some pics benches before and after as well as some part numbers and tips on how to do this. Its pretty simple but i'll be using the SMT heater to flow the ic's and not a soldering iron. "Faster and i can just set it in and wait for it to come out.

Update.

IC's are soldered on all looks well and should work. Flashing the firmware later this week and testing. This is the 40-80gb mod first.

Update. Pic to show you what a 40gb model looks like. 5 more ic's to fill this side makes this the 80gb and the 160gb required a total of 15ic's 5 to finish the top and 10 for the back. Note the red boxes. These are a part you want to be very careful by when modding as you might hit it and unsolder it.

Tip is to get some solder on the legs of the ic's and being very careful and not letting the iron sit on them to long remove the excess solder. Then use some good flux and line the ics up. this is the part that takes the most time and im working on a way to help speed the inspections process up "see bottom of the post" I used some silicone adhesive on the bottom of the ic's and after lining them up i let them sit for 6 hours to cure. After cured just use a fine tip on a soldering iron and tack each pin down. Then inspect each solder join. You dont need to put any solder on the pad, just flux them as they have solder on them from when they were produced or you would see the gold on the pads to protect them from corrosion.

To help speed things up if anyone else does this i'll making a ghetto style AOI. Basically you dl a template im doing to make then scan your ssd and when your image is sized right for the template you would only see green if you see silver then you have a bridge and will need to unbridged it.

I'll get a better scan of it. Looks like i have to prop the top of the ssd to the same height as the sata connection to keep it all in focus. I'll also get a scan of the modded drive but please note mine will look better than yours because i special equipment at my working for doing this. You can do it by hand but it takes a little longer and wont look as good.

Attachments

• ssd 001.jpg
    ssd 001.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 669
Last edited:
This is interesting, subscribed.

Just fyi, some electronic designs have sort of a hard-coded or burned info/tag that can not be change for different model while others design don't, so I think you need to cross you fingers before doing it I guess. :D

Yeah i know. But im thinking to cut cost and increase production theire all made on the same line and same programming they just leave 1/2 the memory out at the when its going though the SMT.

Still doing some more research in this and im going to try with the whole 160gb mod. If it works then its a 16gig x-25m for a fraction of the cost and should only take about 15min -20min to toss on the ic's. But im still researching this but im hopeing for production speed and cost reasons they just left off the ic's and outer than that there the same drive.

But its worth a shot dont know unless someone trys it.

Yeah but the firmware can be flashed. So its possible it could work.. and speaking of which how much do those IC's cost? Curious I'd love to have 160Gig Intel SSD's for a fraction of the cost :) since I do have 2 of them.

Ic's ordered to mod it to 160gb. dident have time to test it but its all soldered up. Really easy but there are some small SMD resistor's by the memory that can be knocked off. I'll measure them and get a replacement part number for those who try.

Board's and components are the same only think missing are the IC's for the memory. Tomorrow i have a work party so some time after that i will post some results but so far its looking good.

Cant comment on the ic pricing "suppler/work agreement you know how those are."

Full writeup if it works will be available after x-mass. I'll list what to watch out for "SMD resistors that may come off" and what part number they are to order replacements online. as well as scavenging a drive to mod another this should be cheaper than the larger drive and you will be able to have a bigger drive with trim instead of raiding them and loosing trim.

Sorry this is going so slow but its just a free time at work project and im trying not to kill anything so im taking it very slow and keeping a log. I also have limited time during the day i can do it. First will be a 40-80gb mod. If that works then i will try a 40-160 and a 80-160 and if those work i'll try a 128gb mod with modded firmware to support the 128gb. Im trying to find someone who can mod the firmware from the 160 so if you know anyone left me know lol.

if this works, uber is going to be pm spammed with requests to do the work to someone elses drive.. of course if it doesnt work, it still makes a dang good read.. in theory it works (though so do a lot of things i do at work that do not pan out :p)

40gb has been converted to a 80gb.

Tested it today and windows picks it up as 80gb after a new firmware flash. Put 75gb of data on it and works like a champ. Benchmark enclosed.

I'll take some scans of the internals of the SSD and mark some SMD Resistors you need to worries about if attempting this.

IC's for the Intel 40gb and 80gb confirmed are 29F64008CAMDA 34nm MLC 8gb Ic's

NOTE THESE DRIVES ARE G2'S AND THE X25 40GB WILL SCAN/RING UP AS A X25-M NOT A X25-V. I do not know if the G1's are the same and i can not confirm if this will work.

Guide coming after x-mass as well as some tips. I'll also give some tips on taking ic's off one and putting them on another for a larger drive and test and see if i can get a 120gb version to work.

Next i'll be waiting for more ic's to get here and going for the 160gb mod.

Please don't pm me asking if i will mod your drive for you. I don't have the time and this is just a project and a guide to help people who wanna do it. But im more than willing to help you. But if you try it and destroy your drive its not my fault or ocforums or anyone else s but your self so DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. This also voids the warranty of the drive.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 711
My first thought was, "Well, that was nifty."

I realized this was an understatement, nicely done sir.

Oooh drool :) Looking forward to the results for the 160Gig. Most specifically I know the writes should increase from 80 to 160 by 20-30MB/sec to around 100-110MB/sec.

BTW do you know where we can pick up chips like this? I know not from your source but to us that would like to possibly try?

The pads on the Intel SSD's are very easy to pull up. Just a heads up. So use a good amount of flux and proper heat when modding.

Cleaning the flux i use some flux removing spay. Its expensive but works fast and is pretty awesome. Cheaper alternative is 90% or higher isop. alch.

If anyone can get me a high quality pic of outer brands of SSD's pcb's front and back i'll see if we can get them working :)

Like i said guide will be in the works after x-mass. I got alot of stuff to cover in it and a bit more research to do to see if this will work on the older X25's as well as put together some good clear documentation on how to do this so those who try this have very detailed directions as well as notes to what to look out for "some small std resistors" as well as how to fix them if they hit one and lose the small smd resistor.

I also got something else i'll be starting after the first of the year. Project for that is to see if i can take the Seagate Momentus xt's 4gb and replace it with a 16gig+ then mod the firmware to use the 16gigs. This will also be a final project for my last class for my electronics deg.

Sorry if you've already been hit by the news team, but I really hope your writeup after Xmas will be for our front-page. :D Shoot me a pm when you are ready to get it going and I'll help you get started.

Like i said guide will be in the works after x-mass. I got alot of stuff to cover in it and a bit more research to do to see if this will work on the older X25's as well as put together some good clear documentation on how to do this so those who try this have very detailed directions as well as notes to what to look out for "some small std resistors" as well as how to fix them if they hit one and lose the small smd resistor.

I also got something else i'll be starting after the first of the year. Project for that is to see if i can take the Seagate Momentus xt's 4gb and replace it with a 16gig+ then mod the firmware to use the 16gigs. This will also be a final project for my last class for my electronics deg.
I wouldn't worry about the older G1's. Just stick with the G2's and press forward. :)

Back