• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I can RARELY rename folders in Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
It's the biggest pain in the rear... 90% of the time I try to rename a folder on my server, from my main computer, I get what you see below.

I've had this problem for a VERY long time. I'm sick of it. It's stupid... very very stupid. I'm so sick of it I want to :mad::mad::mad:

I have to kill explorer.exe and restart it and usually that works. I'm posting this thread b/c this time I didn't work. I RDPed into the server (Windows 7, also used as my HTPC) and still no go, even after killing explorer.exe and restarting it manually.

What the heck?????

Attachments

• annoying.png
    annoying.png
    15.6 KB · Views: 459
Mine was doing this because it was creating thumbnails of all video/picture files and keeping the files open on the server.

Mine was doing this because it was creating thumbnails of all video/picture files and keeping the files open on the server.

Your work-around? I'm willing to cut my losses and lose out on whatever I have to. I can't believe how stupid it is... I never had this problem with XP.

I guess it would help to run a program to find out what files and folders are open on the PC/server. You can then use that to troubleshoot the problem.

You can check in the Windows management console, but it doesn't usually show you anything, :rolleyes: so I think a third pary app is needed.

Anyone know of a good one? It will hopefully be free and open source too.

BTW which server OS are you running?

EDIT: I did a bit of googling and UnLock IT Free looks like it might fit the bill.

www.emco.is/products/unlock-it/features.php

Last edited:
Your work-around? I'm willing to cut my losses and lose out on whatever I have to. I can't believe how stupid it is... I never had this problem with XP.
Trying to remember how I fixed it. It has been a long time since I made the change and it may not even help you anyway; my server is a linux OS.

I guess it would help to run a program to find out what files and folders are open on the PC/server. You can then use that to troubleshoot the problem.

You can check in the Windows management console, but it doesn't usually show you anything, :rolleyes: so I think a third pary app is needed.http://www.emco.is/products/unlock-it/features.php
I've yet to see it not work and I deal with servers for my job.

Trying to remember how I fixed it. It has been a long time since I made the change and it may not even help you anyway; my server is a linux OS.

I've yet to see it not work and I deal with servers for my job.
Thankyou, I'll take that as definitive then. :) I'm pretty sure there's a Windows service that creates these thumbnails, which can be switched off.

Perhaps the alternative, is to set the Explorer View setting to Details, but I wouldn't bank on that.

Would I need to be checking on the server or from the client computer? I'm assuming the server... I think I tried disabling thumbnails but it didn't help.

Looking at my SAMBA configuration on my server, I don't see any entries I made for this issue. Seems it is completely client side.

You should be able to see if files are open from the server. Create a folder, put images in it, try to delete it. If it fails, see what files are open in the folder and my guess is that you will see the hidden thumbnail file is being held open for a long time. This is why it lets you delete it once you restart explorer. I use the details view when browsing the network drive and I do not have this issue.

Looking at my SAMBA configuration on my server, I don't see any entries I made for this issue. Seems it is completely client side.

You should be able to see if files are open from the server. Create a folder, put images in it, try to delete it. If it fails, see what files are open in the folder and my guess is that you will see the hidden thumbnail file is being held open for a long time. This is why it lets you delete it once you restart explorer. I use the details view when browsing the network drive and I do not have this issue.

Thing is... I do have it on details. :/

What files are being held open when you can't delete a folder?

Okay so I had to do this on BOTH machines...

Attachments

• thumbnails.png
    thumbnails.png
    42.3 KB · Views: 436
That did resolve it for you? Mine is not checked, but I remember that option now that you post a screenshot of it. I did reinstall recently, so I may have just forgot about it.

That did resolve it for you? Mine is not checked, but I remember that option now that you post a screenshot of it. I did reinstall recently, so I may have just forgot about it.

I think so. I'll report back if the problem comes back.

In my experience, I have seen this happen with slower SSD drives. However, I do see this problem occur on my 4 x R0 x 60G OCZ drives. It only started happening when I upgraded my firmware, but it RARELY happens.

When it does occur, I just wait 5-10 seconds and am able to rename the folder(s). Definitely not a fix, but something I have observed.

In my experience, I have seen this happen with slower SSD drives. However, I do see this problem occur on my 4 x R0 x 60G OCZ drives. It only started happening when I upgraded my firmware, but it RARELY happens.

When it does occur, I just wait 5-10 seconds and am able to rename the folder(s). Definitely not a fix, but something I have observed.

It's Windows 7. I've had RAID-0 SSD setups, etc...
Ever since windows 7, the problems started, but after the changes I made, I think I fixed it. :)

Definitely a pain, but it RARELY occurs and when it does I wait 5-10 seconds. VIOLA.

This problem NEVER occurred until I upgraded my firmware on my SSDs.

Dont even get me started about my 1450 errors "no available resources to process this command". This has been an error which has plagued me since Windoze 7 inception. I am unable to copy files greater than 500MB. However, to be honest, it MUST have something to do with my OC, because brand new build experiences the same behavior. :shrug: The problem occurs with every file copy utility i have tried, xcopy, robocopy, rich copy, blah etc.

No other machine (all x64) I own has had the above error copying data over 500MB on the LAN.

Definitely a pain, but it RARELY occurs and when it does I wait 5-10 seconds. VIOLA.

This problem NEVER occurred until I upgraded my firmware on my SSDs.

Dont even get me started about my 1450 errors "no available resources to process this command". This has been an error which has plagued me since Windoze 7 inception. I am unable to copy files greater than 500MB. However, to be honest, it MUST have something to do with my OC, because brand new build experiences the same behavior. :shrug: The problem occurs with every file copy utility i have tried, xcopy, robocopy, rich copy, blah etc.

No other machine (all x64) I own has had the above error copying data over 500MB on the LAN.

Why not try kicking back your OC and trying single-channel (or if you have another set of RAM, try another). Bad RAM could be an issue as well...

Bad RAM could be an issue as well...

I was thinking that is a possibility, but the machine is rock solid. Passed memtest over 12H for each stick @ current settings. I'll get to the bottom of it eventually, when I can begin to manage my time more appropriately. :D

Back