• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New HTPC Build Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have another problem though, of course.
Now my problem is that the CPU fan is unbearably loud for some reason. Could this be something to do with the motherboard or the cpu fan not being secured in the case? I thought they were pretty secure but something is definitely wrong. Also, one of the case fans is making a slight ticking noise - it is annoying even by itself even when i unplug the cpu fan - not sure why bc the other case fan right next to it is perfectly silent.

Just unplug fans until you find the one making the noise. In my system the loudest fan is the CPU fan, so eventually Im gonna buy an aftermarket low-profile cooler just to combat the noise.

Also, try plugging in your case fans into mobo fan headers so they dont always spin and max RPM.

Okay I have everything running now.

The two issues I bought up earlier sort of fixed themselves. The CPU fan isn't too loud anymore - I think it is just for a bit initially when booting up. And the case fan just stopped making noise, don't know why.

I have everything up and running and everything is great so far, no issues with the HTPC, AV Receiver, surround sound, or anything.

One thing I do need to test the TRUEHD/DTS HD Audio, haven't gotten to that yet.

Next thing I need to decide is if I want WMC or XMBC. Also ordering NetFlix for them.

Lastly, I want the HTPC to do webcam chatting. I don't know if this will work, but what I want to do is have two bluetooth microphones. One near the couch (15 ft from the TV), and one in the kitchen (25 ft from the tv). And obviously a web cam on top of the TV.
I would like it so the person can speak freely without having a headset or anything on, just speaking into the bluetooth mic in the kitchen or living room, and the person's voice on the other end can come through the surround sound. I'm guessing there may be noise interference and feedback issues though.

Any thoughts or opinions on this? Anyone heard of people doing this before? Or anyone know any good deals on webcams/bluetooth mics?

Thanks!

I don't have a direct answer for you but you should probably start looking into some conference room tech for your bluetooth microphone idea. Or whole-house microphones used for intercoms for housing.

Back