• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Issues playing .mkv with WDTV Live

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhysX

It seems that I am not able to play ANY, .mkv files.

I am able to play VC-1, XviD, everything really accept for x264 with the .mkv container. Any ideas ?

Update the firmware :) There is an issue with playing .mkvs before a certain firmware revision (which i can't remember off the top of my head) that was fixed.
If i'm correct, after attempting to play an MKV, you have to reset the device to get it to play ANYTHING, correct?

Update the firmware :) There is an issue with playing .mkvs before a certain firmware revision (which i can't remember off the top of my head) that was fixed.
If i'm correct, after attempting to play an MKV, you have to reset the device to get it to play ANYTHING, correct?

I am running the lTest firm ware. I am able to play mp4 xvid everything accept mkv

just gonna test something out in a minute. I extracted the h264 stream and the audio stream from one of the mkv files i was able to play, just finished remuxing so hopefully there are no problems.

edit, found the problem....

apparently when I was trying to share through "media servers", libraies in windows 7, it just plain wasnt sending the mkv files list to the wdtv live.

I found that out when accidentally connection via network shares and view ALL my files there, there I am able to play them all.

slightly annoying, however I am happy to have everything working correctly.... for the most part haha

Last edited:
Ah, that would do it. Media Player doesn't support .mkv, so it can't decode it to stream it to the player. There are several third party programs that can stream just about anything over the network, some of which can take bandwidth into account to keep the video playing if someone slams the network with a large transfer.

Either way, not the player's fault, but rather Windows'. If i could remember the name of the program, i'd tell you. (It's a really good one. I used to use it but then the Xbox died and i never bothered to set it back up.) There are several out there though. Poke around the WD forums :)

Interesting, I had no idea that, that was even being encoded. I will look around.

I'm pretty sure that's how media servers work. They decode the media on the fly and then send the decoded material to the player to be played. Takes the load off of the player and allows it to easily play high bitrate material.

I'm pretty sure that's how media servers work. They decode the media on the fly and then send the decoded material to the player to be played. Takes the load off of the player and allows it to easily play high bitrate material.

so do you have any recomendations on a media server to take h.264 bluray rips and encode em on the fly to be sent to something like a WDTV live?

My 54g wifi just aint nuff for high bitrate stuff.

so do you have any recomendations on a media server to take h.264 bluray rips and encode em on the fly to be sent to something like a WDTV live?

My 54g wifi just aint nuff for high bitrate stuff.

I think Tversity (sp?) might be one of the ones i was thinking of. I can't remember the name of the good one for the life of me though.

Keep in mind that if the computer decodes it, and it decides there's not enough bandwidth for bluray quality, than it's going to look like crap on your tv. :chair:

It seems that I am not able to play ANY, .mkv files.

I am able to play VC-1, XviD, everything really accept for x264 with the .mkv container. Any ideas ?

:shock:how can it be possible? I can even play 1080p mkv ripped from blu-ray disc- I mean, flawless blu-ray without any quality loss! you'd try lossless blu-ray backup with makemkv or pavtube bytecopy as I did and see how it works

I think Tversity (sp?) might be one of the ones i was thinking of. I can't remember the name of the good one for the life of me though.

Keep in mind that if the computer decodes it, and it decides there's not enough bandwidth for bluray quality, than it's going to look like crap on your tv. :chair:

PS3 Media Server? I use that for my seagate freeagent+ since when streaming from windows it looks terrible.

Back