• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Downloading a vista os disk legal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deed

I just installed another 2gb of ram so I am running 4 1gb sticks of ram on an amd system and wanted to upgrade to 64 bit to utilize all of it. I know for a fact that a 32 bit product key will also work on a 64 bit cd so is it okay to download a 64 bit disk if you use a legal key that was paid for less then 3 days ago?

(Off topic since I did not want to make another thread) The attached image is before I installed new ram. Is there any performance issues running 4 1gb sticks and any issues matching different timing higher mhz sticks with slower sets?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 2gbramspeed.jpg
    2gbramspeed.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 181
I would never mix memory. Recipe for crashes. It's the whole reason they are sold in pairs...since even the same models can go through multiple revisions.

I would never mix memory. Recipe for crashes. It's the whole reason they are sold in pairs...since even the same models can go through multiple revisions.

Thanks. 2 PN424 Dual In-line Memory Module, 1G 667M, 128X64, 8, 240, 2RX8 is the original memory description. Not sure if any long term issues are going to show up so I may dump the extra 2gb until I can get for sure performance or issues worked out.

Still have to find out about the 64 bit os though since my drive has just been wiped 3 times.

I just installed another 2gb of ram so I am running 4 1gb sticks of ram on an amd system and wanted to upgrade to 64 bit to utilize all of it. I know for a fact that a 32 bit product key will also work on a 64 bit cd so is it okay to download a 64 bit disk if you use a legal key that was paid for less then 3 days ago?

Not really. But will M$ find out and bust your ***? Probably not.

It's a total no no! MS expect you to use the media and key you received together. The licence should not be used with any other disc than the one it was supplied with.

But, can MS watch over everyone? :santa: I think not.

ihrsetrdr has a good point. That what hash checks come in handy for. But you will still never be truely "legal" with a downloaded ISO.

How can you be sure that you're not going to get a little malware, along with that download?

Well there are vista recovery disks that tons of people get for those of us that had systems bought with no os disk provided.

My product key says windows 32 and 64 bit compatible but only has a 32 bit cd.

Eh I will try it and see what happens. Not like anything important will be on it just testing centos and vms and other things inside of virtubox.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2010/...cial-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

I know the digital river links are legit, not sure about the rest.

You are correct, you can install 64 bit version. In fact, somewhere on the package, it should tell you how to get the x64 install media.

Dell disk but it does work on every non dell computer I have found. Thanks for the link. It would be nice for all operating systems to be a 64 bit standard so its just 1 disk. Never going to happen though. (If only I could get the latest direct x and other files on my xp setup)

After I get the iso burned and see if the keys work I will go through all the TOS and AUP's etc and try to find out if its actually legal and then provide non malaware links for others that had the same issue as me. I may just send them an email also.

How can you be sure that you're not going to get a little malware, along with that download?

Because you're getting it straight from Microsoft (or some CDN they've paid to host it). You might note the "microsoft.com" in the domain for this link that is Vista SP2 x64: http://download.microsoft.com/downl...A443-2E2985D3DFC3/Windows6.0-KB948465-X64.exe

@op: ^^^ There's your link. ^^^

It's a total no no! MS expect you to use the media and key you received together. The licence should not be used with any other disc than the one it was supplied with.

Completely bogus.

ihrsetrdr has a good point. That what hash checks come in handy for. But you will still never be truely "legal" with a downloaded ISO.

Yes you will. Microsoft provides them to anyone who wants to download them, and there's nothing illegal about it. It's only illegal if you use it beyond the 30-day "trial" without a valid license.

That's 7. OP asked about Vista. A Vista license isn't valid for 7 :) See the link at the top of the post :) The post on that site with Vista links is http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...oad-links-5-languages-standalone-exe-and-iso/

Last edited:
Uhh, let's not focus on MS not catching you, or knowing. The same goes for straight out piracy with illegal media and an unlicensed key or a crack. You probably won't get caught but won't be able to get all the benefits of a genuine copy and stealing is stealing, so morally you shouldn't do it.

So, is it legal or share or download the OS without a key, such as a plain retail or OEM rip? No. But, post install with your own key and activation there is nothing to tell your install from any other legal install. So basically, it isn't a problem, but isn't totally legal. After the install there's no difference though. Couldn't tell you if this is an OK option to go to the 64 bit version, I'm doubtful though...

EDIT: Apparently someone is more up to date on how Microsoft deals with this above me :thup:

In my experience, if it works, then it works, and if it's going to have problems, they're immediately and blatantly obvious. I doubt there would be problems unless you're running in dual channel mode with two different modules in one "channel".

Download the ISO from microsoft's official site as linked above, and you'll be fine.

Side note: At school we have that MSDNAA program. In each of our accounts we had free access to (among other things) Windows 7 x86, x64, both English and French versions. All of the keys were interchangeable. So, in essence, I had 4 valid Windows 7 keys that would work on any and all versions.

Double side note: Why did you purchase a Vista license rather than a 7 license? Seven is leaps and bounds ahead of Vista.

No, but I expect that people who don't know it wouldn't automatically assume that the official download links are from an untrusted source...

Back