• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P5P-800 VM No Picture

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

A friend's PC seem to not wat to boot up a picture what so ever the specs are....

INTEL P4 (unknown CPU)
ASUS P5P-800 VM board
4GB DDR RAM (4x1GB mods different brands)
WD 80GB IDE HDD
Maxtor 120GB HDD
GF 6200 AGP Card
4x USB 2.0 PCI Card

Now I've stripped it taken out all memory and used 1 HDD I've even used onboard graphics with each stick of RAM, then moved into using the 6200 still nothing. There's no beeps nothing cant figure out why it wont bring up a pic also there's no CMOS clear so I took out the battery waited 10mins tried again nothing. I also cant test the 6200 because I dont have an AGP slot system anymore there all up-to-date PC's, HDD's work fine I attached them to my rig below to get in and back-up some family holiday pics etc.

I've even used onboard graphics with each stick of RAM, then moved into . . .

so the onboard grafics were working or nothing is working?

when you say no-beep. this is just for the no Picture right? are you feeling that the computer is operating behind there without a picture? and how much does it seem to be operating without a picture?

Also:
can you provide background.
Is this a Add a new/different video card?
Is this Failed suddenly or failed , and was working?

Last edited:
Hi

There seems to be nothing happening in the background to me since there is no picture, the HDDs dont seem to be loading and there's no sound should it get to the load screen as my friend said there is no password so that means it should load to desktop.

As for history the parts are refurbished from a computer shop about 4 years ago, about 2 weeks ago he got the NTLDR error and basically he couldn't fix it from the CD. The reason I think is the BIOS was probably set to load straight to HDD and skip optical drive.

Nothing has been upgraded from what I can see maybe he's added the extra 2 1GB DDR modules lately I'll have to ask, I managed to save all his family pics by plugging the HDD's into my rig below and taking control of the folders. I have spoke to him yesterday and hes looking into upgrading to a more better system PCI-E AMD 64 etc.

then it sounds like more problems than the video, because of the no beeps.
no beep no picture can be just a stubborn video card that isnt intilising, the video going to any onboard video, but when you have no feel of the hard drives doing something OTHER than spinning up doing a first check of data, , , ,
then it could be the cpu , ram which you probably have covered by limiting it, or the psu itself.

in this situation i might want to remove the video card, and the power connected to it, you have onboard grafics right?
then try and get this simpler system doing something. if you dont get beeps still, then go deeper, check the cpu , reset its cooler, fight with the ram and different slots. try a new chunk of ram. without Cpu most systems wont beep anyway, the video card not initilising it could take TIME for the system to beep.

I dont know, but it just sounds like something is wrong back further.

Last edited:
You my friend are a genius turns out it was the CPU not been mounted right what looks like from a normal distance turns out to be not lol I took it out cleaned it from it's old paste put some new Akasa 430 on it and bobs your uncle it booted.

I went through everything to try and eliminate the problem but I'll defo start checking the CPU all the time as Appearances Can Be Deceiving I reinstalled his XP and everything is back to normal if not better.

Many thanks

Back