• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another What to do thread?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bda1967

OK I'm Jonesin' for a new video card but my common sense tells me that I don't need one. It would be for the i7 rig in my sig that I'm currently running with a 5870. Should I stay with the 5870 or go to either a GTX 570 or a 6970? I have a 24" monitor at 1920 x 1200 resolution. I play BFBC2 and COD BO and would like to max out AA and AF without sacrificing fps. I figure that I can always sell the 5870 so I would get about half of my money back from the new card.

Oh I would go GTX 580 but my budget right now is $400. I sort of promised myself too that I would never spend $500 on a video card again so $400 is about my maximum amount. I will just have to "make do" with the sub-$500 cards.:shrug: EDIT: I thought about grabbing a second 5870 for CrossfireX too.

5870 (58xx series for that matter) crossfire scaling is not that good, so the price would not be worth it, unless you wait and find a used one in the classified's that is cheap. The 69xx series has excellent crossfire scaling however.

If you can't find a worthwhile upgrade for less than $500, you don't need a new GPU! My rule for upgrading is at least double the performance for less than $150 (I don't think I've ever spent more than $150 on a GPU). I just upgraded from my HD4670 that was $70 in 2009 to a GTX460 that cost me $120. I'm pretty happy with the results.

Everybody has different requirements and expectations, and mine are pretty low, but it sounds to me like you're suffering more from upgrade fever than an actual need. Go donate the $400 to charity. ;)

I'm afraid that you are right on the upgrade fever part. I don't think that I could wait a couple of years to get double the performance for less than $150 though. LOL! I would go crazy by then.:eek: I like new video cards...:D

Crossfire scaling is fine with 58xx series...for teh record. its better than 48xx series, and 68/69xx is the same or better... not sure where that came from. If you have any links, I would be happy to look at them though. :)

Well, I never reccomend crossfire/sli at 1920x1080 so you arent getting that thumbs up from me... So you have $400 total with selling your 5870? heh, I dont know, I would wait it out. I cant believe you even notice anything above 4x/8xAA anyway. I run stuff on 8xAA with 470 and anything above that I certainly dont notice.

I would think you would be able to max out settings in those games with an i7 920 @ 4.0ghz and a 5870... Your rig is leet :) hopefully the money doesnt burn a hole in your pocket :)

Is your 5870 OCed?

Back