• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP Pavilion Elite m9340f Q6700 Quad cores overheating?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

5yewy5r

Hello! First post on the forums! :)

Anyways, I've had bit of a problem with my cpu temperature. Speedfan currently reports my cpu temps to be:
core 0: 80C
core 1: 77C
core 2: 73C
core 3: 73C

These sound a bit high. I opened up the tower and put a fan next to it, but it barely did anything.

The CPU is a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700. It came in the HP Pavillion Elite m9340f PC. Currently it has all stock parts except the GPU, which I seriously doubt has anything to do with CPU temperature.

Any possible fixes for this?

Cleaned all the dust out of it?

You could try simply removing the CPU heatsink, cleaning all the old thermal goop off both the heatsink and the processor heat spreader, applying a fresh dose of new thermal goop (I still use Arctic Silver 5) and reapplying the heatsink.

You could add a case fan if your case has a spare slot for one, otherwise you could replace the case's fan with a faster fan that moves more air.

You could also buy any number of inexpensive aftermarket heatsinks to replace the stocker.

Cleaned all the dust out of it?

You could try simply removing the CPU heatsink, cleaning all the old thermal goop off both the heatsink and the processor heat spreader, applying a fresh dose of new thermal goop (I still use Arctic Silver 5) and reapplying the heatsink.

You could add a case fan if your case has a spare slot for one, otherwise you could replace the case's fan with a faster fan that moves more air.

You could also buy any number of inexpensive aftermarket heatsinks to replace the stocker.

Just a question, exactly how often do you have to replace the thermal goop? I will try dusting it and buy Arctic Silver 5 then.

When you remove the heatsink.

The paste doesn't go "bad", you just can't reuse it.

Some guys think that the thermal paste needs to be reapplied periodically. I don't, neither does Thideras, but there's a possibility that it doesn't have a good application from the factory. It wouldn't hurt to clean it all up and reinstall the heatsink with a good application of AS-5 or something similar.

And even though HP doesn't offer the option of adjusting Vcore via the BIOS, you still might want to post what CPU-Z reads as the current Core Voltage of your quad, both at idle and while running Prime. Also post the VID of your chip as read by Real Temp--> Settings page.

And even though HP doesn't offer the option of adjusting Vcore via the BIOS, you still might want to post what CPU-Z reads as the current Core Voltage of your quad, both at idle and while running Prime. Also post the VID of your chip as read by Real Temp--> Settings page.

I don't know what you mean by running Prime, but at idle CPU-Z says core voltage is ~1.680 V at idle. VID from Real Temp was 1.2875.

BTW, Real temp gave me practically the same temperatures as speed fan, give or take one degree.

Can I ask how old is this PC? Have you done anything at all to it to overclock it?

Prime 95 is a program that stresses the CPU under load, so you can see how effective the cooling is. Usually the stock cooler is just fine on Dells with no overclocking, otherwise they wouldn't sell them due to warrenty. I suggest you download it and run it for 10 minutes.

Your temps seem kinda high. If it's a new system maybe an RMA is needed. If it's an old sytem you'd be amazed what a GOOD cleaning will do. Dust can really build up under the CPU fan, and you can't see it that well. Having a can of compressed air and really going to town on the CPU fan cooler can help. If an older system is the fan spinning like it was long ago? Could have a fan going bad.

It's not always wrong, but why use something that CAN be wrong when there are programs that reliably give perfect readings direct from the sensor?

Can I ask how old is this PC? Have you done anything at all to it to overclock it?

Prime 95 is a program that stresses the CPU under load, so you can see how effective the cooling is. Usually the stock cooler is just fine on Dells with no overclocking, otherwise they wouldn't sell them due to warrenty. I suggest you download it and run it for 10 minutes.

Your temps seem kinda high. If it's a new system maybe an RMA is needed. If it's an old sytem you'd be amazed what a GOOD cleaning will do. Dust can really build up under the CPU fan, and you can't see it that well. Having a can of compressed air and really going to town on the CPU fan cooler can help. If an older system is the fan spinning like it was long ago? Could have a fan going bad.

I ran prime 95, but it didn't really stop at any point so I stopped the workers manually. Core temp when up, but I don't think the voltage changed at all. The computer is maybe a year or two old. I didn't overclock anything: everything is stock settings. I'll get the compressed air and see what it does... but perhaps it is the fan that is failing, since every now and then I hear very loud, almost kind of like cranking noises from the fan, especially when under load.

Yep, when your CPU gets hot the fan spins faster. When the fan goes bad it spins slower. With the PC at that age, you should get a new replacement fan. Probably a 60mm fan on the heatsink. Take measurements, you can get a replacement fan from millions of internet places, or maybe evn a Frys or Microcenter. Even Dell can sell you a replacement. Couple screws, a small connector, easy.

That will have a proprietary board and probably will not mount aftermarket heatsink, i would check your warranty if your fan is not working.

Just to be sure the GPU is one of the slot exhaust types and is not dumping hot air into the case? It may be the culprit if it's not pushing its hot air out of the back of the case.

I was also having trouble with a PC at work and ended up removing the shroud for the CPU HSF and changing some fan directions to achieve better temps. The thermal paste reapplication seems like a good call because odds are AS-5 or the like is better than the stock stuff.

oems usually don't use ATX because it save's money in bulk manufacturing.:eh?:

Thermal paste change is worth 3c to 5c

Last edited:
True, but the motherboard should still be removable in some fashion, right? I'm guessing that if it uses an Intel chip that it uses the Intel mounting system. It should at least have the four holes in the motherboard for the Intel pushpins in the same location, allowing you to mount an aftermarket HSF if you can get the motherboard out of the case. I don't know any of this for sure, I'm making an assumption. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

True, but the motherboard should still be removable in some fashion, right? I'm guessing that if it uses an Intel chip that it uses the Intel mounting system. It should at least have the four holes in the motherboard for the Intel pushpins in the same location, allowing you to mount an aftermarket HSF if you can get the motherboard out of the case. I don't know any of this for sure, I'm making an assumption. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Can't say for this one in particular, but I have had proprietary mobos from mfgs where there was no stock mounting holes.

Back