Radeon 5870 E6 (EyeFinity6) Questions

Hi Guys, I picked up a Diamond 5870 Radeon Eyefinity 6 edition this weekend.

I was curious on how exactly the *6 display ports* work....
    If I plug in 2 monitors via DP>DVI I can run them as individual displays, however if I plug in any other port it can only be a *copy* of one of the 2 primarys, this also disables my 2nd GPU (HD2600) and 2 other displays.

I was hoping that with the 6 display ports I could run 6 individual desktops or a desktop spanned across all 6. Is this a limitation of the DVI adapters and it would work with full display port connections?

Any info or documentation on this would also be appreciated.

--Merry Christmas everyone!
    Using Ubuntu does not make you good with linux.

HEATWARE

Fronting as a Mod Member
    Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    If you want to hook up more than two monitors to the card; one of them MUST have DP connectivity --> Straight from card's mDP port to DP port on monitor; not via mDP-DVI adapter. Once one of the displays is hooked up via DP; you'll be able to span all 3 displays or use them as separate displays as well... But the requirement for more than 2 displays is that one of them have a DP input.
    You can read more here: 5870 Eyefinity 6 Review
    Daily Driver: GA-890FXA-UD5 - Ph II X6 1090T - 16GB DDR3 1333MHz - MSI R9 280X Gaming Edition/HD 5670/HD6570 - Venomous X Black + G1238B12BBZP-00 - TX850V2 - CM 690 II Advanced
    Join the "Benching Team" - We have secret sauce! - OptyTrooper: GPUs are for burning not playing games anyway
    Kona on League of Legends: This game sits about as well with me as a gallon of prune juice does, and the results are just as nasty.
    I done got Pinked...

Be sure to pre-tin everything (even soldered stuff!) with leaded solder. None of the RoHS junk. You want good old fashioned toxic heavy metals. ~ Bobnova

Thanks for the info, that was a great read!

Guess I can go ahead and order 3 dell u2410s.. been waiting for a reason to get them.

72" if IPS beauty.

HEATWARE

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
    Overclockers.com Editor

Author Profile Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Love my U2410

All the U2410 monitors should come with A01 firmware now, so no need to worry about pink/green tint or dithering issues.

Requiring a DP connection is the only downside to Eyefinity...
    i7 4770K | ASRock Z87M OC Formula | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v | EVGA GTX780 SC ACX | ASUS Xonar Essence STX | 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 | SeaSonic SS-1000XP
    Pentium G3258 | ASUS Z87I-Deluxe | 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 8-8-8-24 1.35v | 5x2TB RAIDZ | Corsair CX430

My Overclockers.com Articles | HWBot Profile | Heatware (101-0-0)

Projects: Copper-Framed, MDF Station | PVC-Framed, MDF Station | Custom Cascade Cart/Case | Untitled TJ07 Build

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name CompuTamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattNo5ss View Post
    Love my U2410

All the U2410 monitors should come with A01 firmware now, so no need to worry about pink/green tint or dithering issues.

Requiring a DP connection is the only downside to Eyefinity...
    I don't think there's much that could be done about it either. DP is digital, right? Therefore removing the need for a RAMDAC for that output, if my logic is correct?

Most video cards have two RAMDACs, so they can only run two displays. Eyefinity goes around this with the DP. It's digital, so there's no need for a third RAMDAC.

This is all just theory of course. Only posting to see if by some chance i might be right. Haha.

Oh, and Merry Christmas
    Intel Core i7 C0 @ 4.01GHz with 1.388 vCore ..........................................Intel i7 4500U
    Intel DX58SO Motherboard IOH + QPI @ 1.250 Volts..............................Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro
    Sony Optiarc Blu-Ray Drive.................................................. ...............802.11AC
    8 GB G-Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 @ 1.65 Volts ...........................................8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
    60GB OCZ Solid 3 + 320GB WD Blue+ 1TB WD Green...............................Samsung 250GB SSD
    Antec 900.................................................. .......................................All Metal Body
    BFG GS-650.................................................. .....................................Lenovo Power Brick + 54Whr Battery
    XFX Radeon HD 4850 (660/1060 53C Idle 62C Load) @ 1.31 vCore............Intel HD4400
    Dual Dell E2311H LED 1920x1080.................................................. .......13.6" 3200x1800 Touchscreen
    Windows 7 Ultimate.................................................. ..........................Windows 8.1
    Those specs up there? They're silent. Silence is good. Very good.
    Your Core 2 Quad is based off of the Pentium pro in a few ways.

Hoping they go on sale tomorrow or monday so I can pick them up for around $410 each...

HEATWARE