• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing rams of same brand

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Let me try this again. Which specific CPU (955/965/1055/1090T)? Different CPU's have different IMC and this can be an issue when using multiple sticks of RAM.

I still believe you would be better off using matching sticks of RAM especially since you will be having so much open at once. I use Adobe CS and do photo editing on an i7 920 with 6 gig and have found it to be plenty. This is one of the few cases where the intel seems to win over the AMD.

1090T

You're good to go with the Vengeance! CgS says you need a "Big Hammer" to make RAM work these days... so I was just asking. ;)

Ken that looks good, what motherboard are you looking at using? The 1090T has a good IMC and I am looking at going with that myself later on once AMD comes out with the new design, I am hoping that will drop the price of the 1090T. I don't do fireworks or anything like that myself but I do use CS a lot where I shot LF and MF stills, mostly B&W.

Once you have you system put together the AMD tend to like the lower timing over the high freq. so you may notice better performance running the RAM at 1333 and try dropping the timing down to 7/7/7. Have you thought of going to SSD for faster access to large files?

Last edited:
You're good to go with the Vengeance! CgS says you need a "Big Hammer" to make RAM work these days... so I was just asking. ;)

I see

Ken that looks good, what motherboard are you looking at using? The 1090T has a good IMC and I am looking at going with that myself later on once AMD comes out with the new design, I am hoping that will drop the price of the 1090T. I don't do fireworks or anything like that myself but I do use CS a lot where I shot LF and MF stills, mostly B&W.

Asus Croshair IV Formula

Ken, are you just out to make a dedicated rig for editing or are you trying to build something for faster editing with adobe?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xeon-x5680-5600-series-westmere-ep,2692-7.html here is an article about CS5 talking about multi core, HT and video card testing to give you an idea about CS5, I use an older version that is 32 bit so I don't fall into the same category as you do.

Last edited:
Ken, are you just out to make a dedicated rig for editing or are you trying to build something for faster editing with adobe?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/xeon-x5680-5600-series-westmere-ep,2692-7.html here is an article about CS5 talking about multi core, HT and video card testing to give you an idea about CS5, I use an older version that is 32 bit so I don't fall into the same category as you do.

It is my dedicated rig for editing and a little game like SC2 and WoW. I wanted something faster then my i7 930 for around the same price range.

For CS the 930 is going to be the faster of the two systems that we are talking about. The article I linked to will show you how the i7 is doing with CS5 and that CS5 is using HT now where the previous version did not use it. In this case the intel just plain works better with CS than the AMD does, my 955 OC'ed is fast with CS but my i7 920 running stock just runs circles around it, intel also uses triple channel where the AMD is using dual channel and is going to gain some there as well. The article also goes into some detail about nvidia cards and which ones shine with CS and how more cores really don't pay off after 4 cores.

A fair amount of RAM on the i7 a good video card and a SSD would be your biggest improvements for CS as well as some of the tweaks that you can read about to help CS.

Well, I still have both system. So I can always go back. I haven't done any major editing lately but when I do its when I can make a decision on which system to make as a dedicated editing system.

Back