• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mixing rams of same brand

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

KenRC51

Registered
ok these are the rams I got http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Domin...RLE0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293334940&sr=8-1

I am going to buy these http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Domin...YI8K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1293335065&sr=8-5

First, I am buying the 4gb x 2 (8 gb) because my new AMD setup is dual channel and since the ram I have are 2gb x 3 (6 gb total) triple channel, can I take 2 stick of the 2gb ram and put it together in the same motherboard as the 2 stick 4gb rams making total rams of 12 gb?

The other 2gb ram I will use on other setup that I am only using for web surfing.

Neither of those RAM kits are rated by Corsair as AMD compatible so there is little chance they would work without issues. In addition Corsair and many other RAM suppliers do not recommend mixing of RAM nor will they guarantee the RAM to function without issues.

If you desire 8 Gb. of RAM for the dual channel AMD PC then you're best to buy one, matched, tested, compatible AMD RAM kit.

Neither of those RAM kits are rated by Corsair as AMD compatible so there is little chance they would work without issues. In addition Corsair and many other RAM suppliers do not recommend mixing of RAM nor will they guarantee the RAM to function without issues.

If you desire 8 Gb. of RAM for the dual channel AMD PC then you're best to buy one, matched, tested, compatible AMD RAM kit.

How do I know if it is tested for AMD? A lot of ram does not said tested for intel or amd. How would I know if that one would work best for AMD?

I am currently using my 2x2 6gb dominator on my AMD and it seems to run fine.

What brands would you recommend?

AMD, I do photo editing with multiple programs on. I use Adobe lightroom, CS5 photoshop, and some times fireworks at the same time.

Neither of those RAM kits are rated by Corsair as AMD compatible so there is little chance they would work without issues.
This is bologna. It just means it hasnt been tested. You would likely just need to set it (timings) manually (as you should regardless) and you will be fine. :blah:

This is bologna. It just means it hasnt been tested. You would likely just need to set it (timings) manually (as you should regardless) and you will be fine. :blah:

Sorry EarthDog you're wrong on this one. There are two issues here. One is mixing of RAM which is never recommended even of the same RAM. The second issue is RAM compatibility with a CPU/platform.

As has been documented by numerous RAM suppliers, many of the RAM kits will run fine on one brand of CPU but not the other. My advise is to confirm that the RAM has been tested compatible by the RAM supplier. While you may get lucky and be able to run some RAM on both mobos, why take the chance when it cost no more to buy properly tested, confirmed compatible RAM for a specific application. Most people don't want to spend their time screwing with incompatible RAM when they can buy the proper RAM.

The Vengeance RAM is both Intel and AMD compatible so it should be fine.

http://redirectingat.com/?id=1132X5...m/forums/showthread.php?p=6715060#post6715060

Yeah, I bought the 8 gb (4gb x 2) vengence 1866 mhz. Amazon said it is back order, so I'm just gonna use my dominator till they ship it to me.

Sorry EarthDog you're wrong on this one. There are two issues here. One is mixing of RAM which is never recommended even of the same RAM. The second issue is RAM compatibility with a CPU/platform.

As has been documented by numerous RAM suppliers, many of the RAM kits will run fine on one brand of CPU but not the other. My advise is to confirm that the RAM has been tested compatible by the RAM supplier. While you may get lucky and be able to run some RAM on both mobos, why take the chance when it cost no more to buy properly tested, confirmed compatible RAM for a specific application. Most people don't want to spend their time screwing with incompatible RAM when they can buy the proper RAM.

The Vengeance RAM is both Intel and AMD compatible so it should be fine.

http://redirectingat.com/?id=1132X5...m/forums/showthread.php?p=6715060#post6715060
ill give u the mixing and that it is best to get and ram. But its not needed by any stretch of the imagination.

Unfortunately with the faster frequencies involved with DDR3 RAM and HT/QPI speeds, buying confirmed compatible RAM is not only a smart move, for many systems it's a requirement to prevent operational issues. That's why reputable RAM suppliers test and grade their RAM so that a consumer is not a guinea pig or beta tester for the RAM mfg.

I guess the majority of users around here must be 'lucky'. Is it best to but AMD compatible ram for an AMD system, sure. Do you NEED it like you alluded to ("little chance they would work without issues") as stated in your original post? Not likely.

This is a quote I received from a rep here on the site in regards to the same exact question I asked him several days ago. I point you to the first sentence...though Im sure you will be all over the rest (which I agree with anyway).

There is often times no physical difference between our AMD-spec stuff and other DRAM. AMD Phenom X4/X6 systems tend to be very picky about running high speed RAM compared to the Intel I7/I5 series. Thus, DIMMS specified for use at 1600MHZ on these systems are tested and qualified using AMD Phenom II-based motherboards (Crosshair IV and MSI 890FX, to be exact)

Again, good idea to buy AMD ram for AMD system, sure. Requirement, not so much.

EDIT: I guess I just took issue with the verbiage used is all. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
AMD, I do photo editing with multiple programs on. I use Adobe lightroom, CS5 photoshop, and some times fireworks at the same time.

Let me try this again. Which specific CPU (955/965/1055/1090T)? Different CPU's have different IMC and this can be an issue when using multiple sticks of RAM.

I still believe you would be better off using matching sticks of RAM especially since you will be having so much open at once. I use Adobe CS and do photo editing on an i7 920 with 6 gig and have found it to be plenty. This is one of the few cases where the intel seems to win over the AMD.

The executive summary for best operation and the least hassles is thus:

1. Don't mix RAM unless you're willing to accept BSOD, lost data, etc.

2. Buy RAM tested and confirmed compatible with your CPU as it cost no more than buying incompatible RAM

3. Buy one matched, tested, compatible RAM kit of the full quantity RAM desired so you aren't mixing RAM and creating headaches

EarthDog, if you can find it I believe it was Xoke that dealt with the RAM manufacturer about this so called AMD/intel specific RAM and how it ended up being a load of crap so he posted the emails in a thread here for everyone to see. I don't feel like taking time to find it but in the end they admitted that this is causing a bigger issue than what it is and that it ONLY means that it will work with that CPU and has NOTHING to do with it not working with others and it doesn't mean it favors one brand cpu manufacturer over the other.

This AMD/intel RAM only has gotten so blown out of proportion it ridiculous.

Whats weird is I cant find on newegg even a section for AMD ram. One would think if it was that big of an issue they would have it separated instead of just a passing mention in the description. Not only that... these AMD sticks HERE dont even mention AMD and are the top ones on this product page for AMD only.

I do know in certain situations that it does in fact make a difference, just not in a lot of situations. Would it be the most painless to get AMD ram? I suppose. But it seems outside of MFG websites its tough to find. Im a betting man and would bet that most kits would work just fine on both sides of the fence.

Last edited:
Its all a game in my opinion. What is a person suppose to do if they so called AMD approved RAM is not on the QVL for the motherboard? it can be difficult enough some times just to get RAM that is listed on the QVL little lone trying to find one on the list and CPU certified. Heck my RAM isn't listed as being either and it works great.

Last edited:
Newegg often lists AMD approved RAM when you select an AMD or Intel RAM for an Intel mobo. Corsair and other RAM suppliers list AMD and Intel approved RAM and even triple channel specific i7-9xx RAM kits so that consumers can make informed purchasing decisions.

The QVL lists are just a sampling of RAM that a mobo maker qualifies to help early adopters. I've seen RAM on Asus' QVL list that doesn't work and isn't approved for that particular platform, so I'd take a mobo makers QVL list with a large grain of salt because it's typically out of date and sometimes inaccurate.

The whole point is that if you're purchasing new RAM it's a lot smarter to pick RAM that has been tested and confirmed compatible with the CPU/platform that you are using than to be a guinea pig for the RAM supplier. Reputable RAM mfgs. actually test and rate their RAM kits so you know what works for what application.

It is what it is. If you spend a few minutes at any RAM supplier's or mobo maker's support forum you will see the many headaches associated with using the incorrect RAM for a specific application. All RAM does not run on all PC platforms even with tweeked BIOS settings. Being in denial doesn't change reality. It can be a frustrating experience to pizz away weeks or months troubleshooting PC issues caused by incompatible RAM, when there is no need to. If a RAM supplier is unwilling to test and grade their RAM for platform compatibility, then I don't need their product as there are plenty of quality RAM suppliers to chose from.

The OP's question was on MIXING of RAM - which is never recommended.

Last edited:
Funny how the RAM has to meet the CPU but not the motherboard :rofl:. Oh well to the OP I would not recommend mix matched RAM since this can cause problems, why not just sell off the RAM you have and go with matching RAM to resolve any issue there? Some of us just prefer to run out side of the norms, maybe that is why we are on a OCing forum since that wouldn't conform either.

OP another thing you can do is look around and see if others have run the RAM that you like with the motherboard you intend to use to see if it is compatible if it is not listed on the QVL.

Last edited:
There is no need to make it personal just because we have different POVs... ;) Some mobos are built poorly and don't work well even with compatible RAM but the reason why the RAM is predominantly rated by the CPU is because of the IMC or Northbridge chipset used.

Any RAM forum will show the painful issues with using incompatible RAM and the headaches it causes. This is why good RAM companies actually test and confirm what RAM works on what platforms.

People are perfectly free to purchase whatever RAM makes them happy or mix and match to their hearts content. If however they have issues they have no one to blame but themselves if they purchased incompatible RAM or decided that mixing was a good choice. Some people try to drive square pegs in round holes everyday. :-/

Back