• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6950 might have potential to unlock 128 extra shaders.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Last edited:
some more user reports on XS.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=264159

If you attempt this please post results :)

No it's not,with 400 series you have a limited number of cards,that was released for sole purpose of marketing and were only sold in limited numbers by only few brands.Here likely all cards have a potential to unlock,regardless of brand.

I was just referring to the fact that the cores were turned off via a bios modification at the factory, and now they can be turned back on via a bios modification at home. Thanks for the information.

I am somewhat skeptical that AMD would allow this to happen. . . Wouldn't AMD put a stop to this? Or they intend to make this happen?

I look at this as a way to one up Nvidia, with the people in the know. Most of my clients have no clue what to get and go off of my word. therefore, if AMD can make me happy and in love with their products somehow, then I am more likely to recommend it to my customers. Besides what Overclocker doesn't love the idea of shaving 70$ off a card.

I just wish this was out when I got my 6970, I might have thought twice.

Just tried it. Works like a charm!
:)

Haven't overclocked yet, but I was able to run Vantage at stock 6970 speeds/shaders. Definitely glad I went for this instead of shelling out the extra $60.

Matt

First of all, I can't see them letting 6970 performance at 6950 prices for a period of time. Secondly, AMD should know this would happen, maybe they would let it happen to sell a lot of 6950 cause they don't sell so great if they hoped for. The new batch would probably have laser cuts for sure but then again they sold a lot of 6950 by then.

Edit:

Btw my AMD Sapphire HD 6950 will be delivered today.

Do you know how few we enthusiasts that know about this there actually are? Not enough to make a dent in sales.

First of all, I can't see them letting 6970 performance at 6950 prices for a period of time. Secondly, AMD should know this would happen, maybe they would let it happen to sell a lot of 6950 cause they don't sell so great if they hoped for. The new batch would probably have laser cuts for sure but then again they sold a lot of 6950 by then.

Edit:

Btw my AMD Sapphire HD 6950 will be delivered today.

Laser cuts are nothing. You forget the old Athlon XP CPUs? :D

Back