• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Laptop suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daemonkin

Just getting it for gaming(Mostly WoW, Allods, and SC2) while I'm traveling. I would like it to have:

I5 580m
GTX 460m
500 gb 7200 rpm hdd
2x2gb memory

17-18inch display.

And the real kicker...I would like a backlit keyboard. I know, I know, I'm being picky, but hey, I like to game in the dark. :chair:

I have found many notebooks that offer some of these, but not anything that offers all.

I've just about gave up my search, but I figured I would ask here before I settled on less than what I want.

Actually, the MacBook Pro 17" doesn't fall too far short of those expectations except for the graphics card. The GT330M should be able to handle most games, but you won't be able to max them out. Looks like Dell has some Alienware laptops that are close (HD 5870) but I don't know about the backlit keyboards. What's your budget?

I would like to get out with a sub 2k price tag but I'm flexible.

I would also like to stick to win 7 as an OS. Not a mac fan, tbh.

The Sager NP8760 (Clevo W870CU as seen on RJTECH.com) is perfect except for the back lit keyboard. Might just have to settle for a usb powered light for it. *sigh*

Last edited:
You don't have to be an OSX fan - the Macbook Pro's have amazing build quality, and you could just put Windows on it. I'm throwing that out because it has good keyboard backlighting and it's a quality machine, but it doesn't have quite the graphics performance I think you're looking for.

Actually I think I'm going to go with the Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q893. It has a little slower processor (i5-460M 2.53 GHz (2.80 GHz w/Turbo Boost), but it has everything else I'm looking for. Doubt I'm going to notice that extra .13 (.53 w/Turbo Boost) in processing power since I'll just be playing a few games.

Plus, as an upside, Amazon has it at 1149.99. Not a bad deal, me thinks.

http://tinyurl.com/3ay8dtn (This is a link to the Amazon website with that laptop)

To assuage any fears http://preview.tinyurl.com/3ay8dtn

Looks about right - good reviews and a good price for something that powerful. Nice find!

Back