• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HTPC specific's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaiyz

Just curious,

Peering thru the threads I didn't catch any threads that pointed me to specific comparisons?
I've built a PC for my entertainment system and used parts I had at work to get this far.

Gigabyte P35-DS4 , E5300 45nm stock 2.6
4 GB OCZ PC29200 @ 1150mhz stock
Tuniq tower 120
Nvidia 7900GT (artifacts during boot, windows loaded missing few pixels possible reball)
Kingwin 800wpsu
1 WD black 1tb

I installed win7x64 and realized the 7900 had issues, I did several HTPC's before chritsmas and they
were all C2D intel based with Nvidia GT220 cards, I havn't heard a complaint but I'm wanting to game a little
on this HTPC.

Anyway, anyone know of some good roundups with specific comparisons. Anyone happy using something like a 9800GTX or a HD4670?
Thanks for lookin.

BTW, the tuniq tower is going back to work and I'll bring over something smaller when I figure out the video card, cards to determine how small or big the case will be.

Thanks

Chaiyz

Last edited:
My HTPC uses a Zotac 9300/9400 IGP ITX board and it loves driving a 1920x1080 TV and 1920x1200 monitor, overclocked with good RAM so it performs as well as a low-end(way beyond bottom-end) discrete card.
The best HTPC card is basically the latest, cheapest, smallest, and lowest wattage thing you can find, any gaming card of the past few years is a good HTPC card.

Also... Kingwin power supply? :sly:

I should have elaborated.

First, yes Kingwin PSU, not a new model. The one I have was made in 2006, is modular and has powered several very overclocked machines over the years.

So, I guess I should have explained, at work I have a QX9650 machine Gigabyte P35DQ4 board running a pair of 5770's. 8 GB of the same 1150mhz OCZ ram and this machine is my workhorse, my cash register, my virus scanner, my server, my gamer, my jukebox, my guitar amp, my guitar recording studio etc. So, you get the drift that I'm not building this machine again for home use on my TV as an HTPC.

I'm basically looking for the phenom of cards that are out there from a year ago or two. BTW, by phenom I mean natural, not AMD. lol

When I first discovered the Q6600 CPU it amazed me, it stood out above the rest because for quite an easy price I could get performance that came only at much higher price levels.
Now thats what I'm looking for in a video card. Wish the 5870's were shorter.

lol.

Back