• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using a mouse for PS3 FPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andylove2011

I've been a PC gamer since year dot and still am, but I've just got a PS3 and yep it looks pretty good, great graphics etc but I've gone from being a lightning fast and deadly FPS killing machine to a fumbling bullet spraying no hoper and this is all down to the control method...
The dual shock controller, while an incredible design is just not accurate, I don't think it will ever come close to a mouse and keyboard no matter how much practice I get.

I've come across this, and a few similar items which look perfect for my needs but have been given wildly differing reviews, seems to be 1 star or 5 no middle ground.

Does anyone here use one, or know of any better alternatives? As it stands I am doomed to mediocrity using the dual shock and it's rather frustrating to say the least

The Eagle Eye looks to be the best option. It has its own CPU for processing which supposedly removes any lag/delay which can be seen from other products.

Really, I think it all comes down to practice with any controlling method, whether it's a gamepad or mouse/keyboard. I'm horrible with the mouse/keyboard, I always over or under shoot my target with the mouse, and I always have trouble hitting the right keys with the keyboard (forget hitting multiple hotkeys at once). I'm infinitely more accurate, have more fluid movement, and can do multiple actions at once with the PS3 controller.

It's hard to force yourself to learn a new way when you are already good using another method. That's why I keep going back to PS3 for first-person games. I use the PC for RTS and RPGs though.

I took a year off of PC gaming and got so used to using a controller that it took a while to actually get my WSAD / mouse thing going again. On the upshot though, now that I have both, I can obliterate people in Battlefield 1943 on Xbox... which IMO is the best game I've seen released at the <$20 mark in a long time. I've heard good things about some of the PS3 mouse-ish and keyboard-ish products.. But I still don't understand why we aren't just giving people the option out of the box.

Sure, someone on mouse/keyboard will beat someone on a controller every time, but nobody's stopping that guy from picking up a $14 OEM KB/Mouse set :p.

I took a year off of PC gaming and got so used to using a controller that it took a while to actually get my WSAD / mouse thing going again. On the upshot though, now that I have both, I can obliterate people in Battlefield 1943 on Xbox... which IMO is the best game I've seen released at the <$20 mark in a long time. I've heard good things about some of the PS3 mouse-ish and keyboard-ish products.. But I still don't understand why we aren't just giving people the option out of the box.

Sure, someone on mouse/keyboard will beat someone on a controller every time, but nobody's stopping that guy from picking up a $14 OEM KB/Mouse set :p.

The fact that a mouse/keyboard player will beat a controller player everytime seems like a good deal for microsoft and sony. It would become almost mandatory to use and they could even force people to use their specific mouse/keyboard and charge $100+ for it.

I would not say this as a blanket statement, given equivalent gaming experience and time with the specific game sure, but your not gonna step int oa brand new game first time on a M/K and smoke guys on PS3's who have been playing for 5 days game time/6 months... I think if you put EVERY game of BO on one server, PC, Xbox, PS3 yes generally speaking PC gamers would end up at the top and do better overall, but dont assume PS3 controllers are SO inhibited they would get wiped up easily by any and everyone with a mouse and keyboard...

I posted to a similar thread the other day. My PC was disabled for a week and I started using my old PS3 with the on line connection and hand controller to play a few shooter games on the PS3 network. And I'm as lame as ever with those stupid controllers. I hate them too. And there are a lot of mouse/+ like PS3 devices out there for sure. But for the moment I'm continuing with the controller because as some of the others are saying if I work at it "i think" i can get better. And if i meet with family and friends somewhere on the planet or wherever and they offer me a controller I don't want to say I can't use it. Its like not being able to drive a car or something! Those things are everywhere. So for the moment I'm making myself play something everyday with the controller--even if only briefly. And I've seen some improvement, but mostly ask my opponents to "please stand still" I can't shoot you if your moving haha. But it sloooowly gets better than I was!! I mostly have trouble pushing down those thumb sticks. It hurts a little or something. Just me-some arthritis I guess-but not horrible, just a little noticeable. I've switched to a Logitech cordless Rumblepad 2 that i bought years ago, and for me--haven't done any testing--but the thumb stick "seem" a tiny bit lower or easier to depress etc, so thats good. Goodluck on whatever you decide.

Back