• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it the ram or is it me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deweylee

Registered
Hello all.OCZ PC3 12800 x3, GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UDR3.. This is my first build.System boots and a DMI Pool Data page appears,last on the page says RECOVERING LOST DRAM SIZE. CMOS states total memory frequency is 4096,which tells me it is only seeing two out of the three sticks.removed and rearanged the sticks made sure they were seated. all setting are in auto for the mem. Still the same reading in cmos. As I said it's my first build ,is there some setting I need to change in the bios, or is it the sticks? Already got a RMA from Newegg but wont be able to send em back til monday. SO I have some time to try a few things .. thanks... By the by,,,New to this site,this problem brought me here but my desire to learn about this O C thing will keep me here for sure......

Does each stick work by themself? Are the settings correct in the BIOS for timings and DRAM voltage?

One stick of mine would disappear when overclocking too hard, and it would only POST with 2 of the 3 sticks. So I would manually set the timings of the RAM in the BIOS to see if that helps, otherwise ensure that each stick works by themself (run memtest86+, a free program designed to check RAM - will find any errors if the RAM is bad).

As this is a new build, either the motherboard has set incorrect defaults, the RAM is bad, or a slot in the motherboard is bad (least likely).

Thank you for your responce... Tried the one stick at a time thing ..system just lays there.. like my old girl friend... this mem test program, can i use it on this new build computer ? it has no operating system installed i have no other desktop to use, I borrowed this lap til i get mine up n runnin ty again.

You tried one stick at a time and it would not boot? If it did that there is something wrong with your slot try a different slot.

Ya ... tried all three sticks in two different slots... Booted up every time, Then tried all three in the #1 slot , no boot. You were right, Bad slot..
Thanks bud!! You've been a great help...Just ta make sure tho, Do you think that there is any other thing such as the bios being screwed up? it has the latest bios (FB) installed...... Any how thank you so much.:clap:

When installing a single stick of RAM on that board, it needs to be installed to either DIMM slot DDR3_1 or DDR3_3 (2nd or 4th slot from the CPU socket) or the board won't boot.

Last edited:
Check the ram voltage make sure it set at 1.65V. Might try giving it just a little more voltage.

Thank you all for your sugestions and expertise. I did try all ,but the one that made the difference was checking one stick at a time ,which I did at least three times to make sure.Looks as if the problem lies in DDR3-1.. System wont boot (single stick) in that slot,but all sticks (single stick) will boot from DDR3-3 and DDR3-5..Gonna contact Newegg and ship this MB back.....Thanks again Will post again to let you guys know how it went with the new MB.......

OK FELLAS...Got the replacement board...all sticks of RAM are recongizes......
Have new issues with this new board...PLEASE GO TO General hardware, NO BOOT DVD/CD.......Can't belive this... :(

Back