• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 460 running high stock temp.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fall

I have 2 gtx 460s from evga

one is the standard like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130571

and the other is the EE version - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130568

i have the EE set up as GPU 1 and standard as GPU 2 in sli. the EE version runs at 50C at 60% fan just idle then in crysis or something well surpasses 100C.

At first i thought it was just the SLI so i turned that off and removed GPU2 but it is still running 40 - 50C idle.

I am eventually getting water blocks for them but if it runs high on air it will still run hot on water.

Any Ideas???

EDIT: the standard one never passes 30C on idle in sli or by itself. and Load tops at about 55C

Poorly mounted heatsink try to remove it, redo the thermal paste and then tighten it.

These cards run hot those are average idle temperatures, but they can be improved. Use Precision from EVGA to change fan speeds, I run an EVGA GTX470 and fan speed set to auto it gets up to 85c. I force it to 80% and it doesn't go past 60 now. Try that for both cards, see if it helps.

You can download EVGA Precision from the evga website but you will need to sign up before you can download it ( assuming you don't already have it ). If you do, then just set them to 80% and you'll see the difference.

If nothing changes after this then I would definitely check the heatsink for possible issues there.

Idle temps should be in the 30-40c range for this card. At full load I beleive their max rating to be around 100c, but you definitely don't want to run near that. 70c is a good temp to aim for at these cards, and can be controlled via the fan speed settings on EVGA precision.

My card runs below 30c at idle. Load temps have never gone over 50c. Thats after running the GPU Folding client for the past 10 days straight. Currently overclocked to 820/1640/1900.

well i am running the EVGA precision and above 60% that little thing gets loud lol. But ill try and tighten the heatsync. If that is a bust ill call them and see whats up. and if that dont work ill just slap a water block on it and call it a day lol

The EVGA EE version uses a cheap cooler that runs hot and loud. You might pick up a couple degrees by remounting, but those temps are about right.

Do a google search for "EVGA GTX460 temperature" and you will come accross a lot of good information.

You should be idling in the 30-40c range and at full load it's normal to see temps around 70-80.

Do a google search for "EVGA GTX460 temperature" and you will come accross a lot of good information.

You should be idling in the 30-40c range and at full load it's normal to see temps around 70-80.
same goes for the evea 470gtx only idle is about 45c fully loaded i never see it go above 75c

The evga gtx470 superclocked, is what im currently running. Using the EVGA Precision fan tool, it defaults to "auto"(allowing the fan speed to increase with temperature; but for some reason it doesn't do that great of a job). This saw my 470 SC temps reach around 82c at full load. Forcing the fan speed however (setting it to a constant 75%) has lowered my full load temperatures to 58c, a huge difference.

The 470's run hotter than the 460's from what I've researched so far, check this out...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3810/nvidias-geforce-gtx-460-part-2-the-vendor-cards/8

Be happy if you can even o/c your card...after reading more about mine on Google I have no choice but to go with an aftermarket cooler of some kind. Mine's the Palit 2GB GTX 460 while the card is great and my idle temps hover at 28 C all day. My gaming temps skyrocket to 80 C and even going to 75% on my fan barely seems to help. I will let you all know what I can do to improve it the low buck way and hopefully I will make it better.

what can we do to get better temps? besides improve the airflow in my case, I have one front 120mm fan and the rear, I don´t bother the noise of the fan if I have to set to 60% to get lower temps

Back