• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[O/C]Intel i7 2600K (Sandy Bridge) Review

• Thread starter Overclockers.com
  • Start date
Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
oh really

well thats cool. But i thought that a copper core was better for heat transfer/dissipation
It is definitely better for heat transfer. Unfortunately it was removed as TDP's went down and replaced with aluminum (i.e. in an E8400 HS I had). Then they started getting thinner and thinner (my i7 870's was thinner than the E8400's and the one photographed above is thinner still). I haven't seen the base of the new one to tell whether it's copper or aluminum.

I know I dropped an old E8400/E6600/E6400 forgot which, heatsink on my server PC one, as the sink was much larger then the one it shipped with.

i use the copper core-rd tall boy to cool a p4 2.8ghz. I was using a aluminum and noticed almost a 6 degree difference. Thanks dave and Hokie this is some good stuff to assimilate.

is this also why the new chips can reach those high levels of OC on air?

CPU is still good, its just the motherboards SATA II ports. Bet someone lost a job over this.

Yep, people still enjoy reading about it. The CPU's are absolutely stellar. Just a small hiccup with the chipset's handling of SATA II ports is all. It's a massive deal and will cost a boat load of money, but doesn't affect the raw performance of this rather strong platform.

Can't wait to see what Z68 looks like. :thup:

Lol at least AMD gives a quad heatpipe copper base heatsink with the newer black editions :D although it barely keeps the thing cool at stock... and it's the most annoying fan I've ever heard. Then again my 965BE is 125watt TDP and the i5-2600K is what 95watt?

Lol at least AMD gives a quad heatpipe copper base heatsink with the newer black editions :D although it barely keeps the thing cool at stock... and it's the most annoying fan I've ever heard. Then again my 965BE is 125watt TDP and the i5-2600K is what 95watt?

i5-2600K is 95W if the onboard GPU is used. If not its even less than that.

I don't mind the itty bitty heat sink that came with my 2500k, if it allowed the price to be cheaper, since I'm overclocking and not using it anyway. If I were running stock speeds and not buying a new heatsink it would have felt a bit lacking.

I don't mind the itty bitty heat sink that came with my 2500k, if it allowed the price to be cheaper, since I'm overclocking and not using it anyway. If I were running stock speeds and not buying a new heatsink it would have felt a bit lacking.

But doesn't the stock heatsink allow for decent OC's still into the 4Ghz range? Just because its small doesn't mean its lacking per say. Its not like the big brick HS's that intel use to put out really did that much better either.

Back