• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bakercake

I'm looking for a wireless/wired router with 4+ ports and a wireless card, both that supports N. I don't know much about routers and don't really know which brand that's reliable. I don't want to spend to much like $150. Anyone want to help me out?

Last edited:
I personally trust Linksys, have been using one for years and it is still really reliable. they should not be too expensive either, I think with your description you can pick one up for about 80-90 bucks.

I personally trust Linksys, have been using one for years and it is still really reliable. they should not be too expensive either, I think with your description you can pick one up for about 80-90 bucks.

Do you know the key things to look for in a router? Like it's specs.

Do you know the key things to look for in a router? Like it's specs.

Depends on what you're using it for.

Gigabit ports are always a nice feature for file transfers between machines connected using wired, and even wirelessly if you have good N speed's

Dual band (2.4 and 5Ghz) simultaneous, so you can separate older G devices from N devices and prevent slowdown of the N network.

QOS for media streaming (or other things).

Bonus item like USB port for printer or hard drive sharing.

Depends on what you're using it for.

Gigabit ports are always a nice feature for file transfers between machines connected using wired, and even wirelessly if you have good N speed's

Dual band (2.4 and 5Ghz) simultaneous, so you can separate older G devices from N devices and prevent slowdown of the N network.

QOS for media streaming (or other things).

Bonus item like USB port for printer or hard drive sharing.

Sharing features I don't care about. Mainly looking for a router and a wireless card for gaming.

Using a D-link now for all my puters, wired and wireless and it hasnt failed me yet. The wireless is very fast and reliable.

Using a D-link now for all my puters, wired and wireless and it hasnt failed me yet. The wireless is very fast and reliable.

Just posted in another thread about this. The DIR-655 does everything you want, OP, I have one. It's 70.54 right now on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127215

I don't see any reason to get anything other than that right now :)

And, I replaced a Linksys. I had problems with the Linksys. I have no problems with the D-Link. Some people love Linksys. But I do not :)

Adding another point for Linksys, if you're going OEM.
If you have some old hardware laying around, I'd suggest a linux firewall distro, like Smoothwall.

Granted, you'd still need an AP for wireless connectivity, so it might run you more than a single OEM unit.

PS -- For wired, I go Netgear...but I prefer Linksys's wireless gear. Go figure!

D-Link DIR-655, I just bought myself one 3-4 months back.- No problems thus far, and probably won't have any. I'd highly recommend it. WPA2, is easy to configure (You'll be up and running in no time).- It's probably what you'll setup security wise for your small home network. So ideally you don't need to worry about more advanced security features.

Another router you might want to check out that is quite popular is the Buffalo Technology WZR-HP-G300NH - Though, it's mainly because it can be flashed with DD-WRT firmware. The data rates are listed as the same as the DLink, only features that I saw that were different were with security, and you aren't going to utilize those at all. I'd go with the DLink. Save yourself the 9$, because you won't use half of the features on it.

Linksys wasn't even a thought when I got mine- I had 3 of there routers fail over the years.- & Plus I was not on the best of terms with Cisco at the time. So it made perfect sense to stay away. Not to say that they don't make a great product.

I don't know what kind of wireless cards to suggest- Although, i'll be looking into this for my new desktop build. So, I might have some more feedback later.

i will third the DLink 655. i have used it for a year or so.

SB6120 docsis 3 modem with 70/7. it runs full speed all the time with no probs. the range in my Apt is awesom and no drop outs.The only downside is no dual band

Back