• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me pick my PC parts!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

appelsos

Hey OC-

i've decided that my rig is currently in need of an upgrade- so i'm going to shell out for a few new parts and i wanted the opinions of how you think my choices will go together/if they are the right parts for me. Anyway, here is what i'm currently running:

AMD phenom 9550 quad processor (2.2ghz)
Power-up 800W PSU
Nvidia gtx460 graphics 1gb (evga) (will be keeping this card, i just got it)
OCZ SLI 800mhz 4gb memory ddr2
MSI k9a2 platinum socket am2+ mobo
Apevia Xplorer case

And now the parts i'm pretty set on upgrading to:

Rosewill challenger case
AMD Phenom II 955 black edition 3.2ghz processor (hope to OC it past 3.5ghz)
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 mobo
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600mhz ram

So does this sound like a good combination? I guess i'm looking for the opinions of those who've had experience with these parts. I chose the mobo because its a good price for an AM3 mobo and got good reviews, and ASUS's website confirms the ram is compatible. How is this Mobo as far as an overclocker goes? I've really only heard good things about ASUS mobos.

I'm really upgrading because my other components just dont cut it for a GTX460 card, and these sounded like the best performance setup i can get for the money.

Let me know what you think!

First thing I would get is a better PSU. Something by Corsair is a 'cant go wrong' type choice.

Get a reputable PSU, I have seen that written on this forum so many times, just do it, otherwise it looks decent, perhaps a cheap CPU cooler if your gonna clock it, though 3.5 should not be pushing too hard.

so you think i should invest in a new PSU even though i've had no problems with this one? I know it isn't a "reputable name" per say, but its 800W and seems to work well. What would the benefits of a new one be?

thanks for the advice.

Just realize that if or when it fails it may take your entire system with it in spectacular fashion. Also realize that it is probably not capable of putting out its origional rated power. I would look at what your system will be drawing power wise, i doubt you need 800watts, then see what a new corsair will run you.

New one is just peice of mind, I am sure some people had Pontiac Fiero's that never had problems... but those that did had BIG problems... ;)

If you keep an eye out you can get a good 6-700watt psu for 50 bucks after rebates, and itll put out it full rating!

Back