• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HP motherboard mod/crossflashed cpu wattage questioning?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eddie97044

This is my first post on this forum so here it goes.

I have an HP Pavillion a6223w with the ECS MCP61PM-HM socket AM2 motherboard that is currently crossflashed with ECS Geforce6100SM-M2 (v2.0) socket AM2+ firmware via a bios chip swap for the 8mb bios.

Added heatsinks to the vrm mosfets and want to know if I can run a higher wattage cpu than what HP says the board can run.

The ECS Geforce6100SM-M2 supports 95w TDP cpu's where as the HP board I have crossflashed only supports 89w TDP so I guess the question is can I put a higher wattage cpu in my board as long as I have the vrm mosfets properly cooled and proper bios support. Do you think it could hurt the board is what I guess I am trying to find out.

Last edited:
It all depends on the quality of the board, more specifically, the power circuitry. Cooling them will certainly help but if they're cheap chips they're cheap chips and may blow if overtaxed. What CPU did you have in mind?

Back