• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Sandy Bridge performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You can't look at HFM PPD numbers to test this. You have to look at the theoretical PPD based on TPF.
26:23 TPF = 45,446 theoretical
23:55 TPF = 56,138 theoretical
Difference:10,692 ppd
Net gain from GPU: 3687 ppd
You've found the same thing I did, it's not worth it to fold -bigadv + GPU.
21.68 ppd/Watt for the net gain with the GPU. Compared to 255 ppd/watt for the 2600K alone. -smp 7 may be better. I'll work on that.

This don't pertain to SB since mine died but I am using SMP 7 on my i7 860 and I can't see a difference with the 580 folding or not,times are about the same from what I can see..

In december I figured out its not worth it to run gpus on -bigadv. I was getting about 45-50k PPD, 16-21k being from the 295.. If I just let the cpu client run, then I was still makeing what I was before but a day earlier, minus the gpus. Its the same with this cpu..

With the heat, and noise, and extra consumption, its not worth it to me. I folded for 1 full month gpu and cpu, and my power bill literally more then doubled what it was before I was folding. Not worth it.

On my 2600K there is definately a penalty running a GPU with -bigadv. I'd had a steady stream of p6900 running -smp 8, but when I went to test -smp 7, I got a different WU and have no -smp 8 reference. I can say that running a single GTX260 along with -smp 7, I lost 3500 ppd on the SMP client and gained 7000 on the GTX260. This was with a p10505 on the GPU, which is one of the WUs that uses far less of the cpu resources than others.

I have never tried/tested running "-smp 7" ......So i can't offer any input.

It's not looking like i will be able to time wise, at least in the near term..........

I did a bit more testing on ram timing effects without interference form a GPU instance. Replaced 8 GB (2 x 4) of G. Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600 CL 9 with 4 GB (2 x 2)of G. Skill RipJawsX DDR3 2133 CL9. On p6900 TPF dropped from an average of 25:48 to 25:00. PPD goes from 46996 to 49269. It's free ppd, ram runs at the same 1.5v and costs less than the 8 GB kit. THere may be more ppd to be found with one of the low latency (CL7) 2133 MHz kits. It's certainly something to consider when building a rig.

25:48 to 25:00, that's a pretty spread :D

Any chance you tried to tighten that there kit up to 8-8-8 or even 8-9-9 ??

I went to bed at 2:00 last night after doing what should have been a simple install of memory and two hard drives. First I didn't get the memory seated correctly so I had a no post. ASUS one sided clips on the P8P67 really suck. You need to install ram with the motherboard out of the case. Got that fixed. I changed the SATA configuration from AHCI to raid and of course Win 7 wouldn't boot. I decided I'd just reinstall windows on the SSD, but the WIn 7 install won't allow that. So in the end I ran out of time to do anything except change back to AHCI and start it up. Looked to see what it was doing when I got up. I'm not sure this ram will run any tighter, but will look around to see if there is any evidence of headroom on the web.

p6900 Wus have a high degree of variability. From 24:08 up to 24:54 with ram set to 2133 MHz manual. For some reason, CPU-Z was reporting ram @ 2133 when it was set to 1866 in bios (EUFI). Wonder which was right? Frame times went down to 24:08 when I changed it in EUFI, but they went back up to their current 24:50 (46,766 ppd) on the next WU.

Join the club,mine died after one week with post code 19,same issue everything spins up but no post..I got it all boxed and ready to send back,but I was able to take my CPU and have it tested,it was dead not the board itself..why the CPU died is beyond me,all voltages was set to default except cpu was 1.225v..I will agree with you,it was the best and easiest build I had ever put together at 4.6..
Back up. My mb died - no idea how or why. Glad I was able to get a replacement.

Back up. My mb died - no idea how or why. Glad I was able to get a replacement.

And so for so good. Have a P9600 WU that's doing 40K PPD with my 2600K oc'd just a little (at 4.1 and holding at 73 degrees on stock cooling and voltage). I want to get a couple of WUs under my belt before I start pushing this a little harder.

What's your time per frame Rip? My 2600K @ 4.5GHz is getting ~27.5 minutes on a p6900 for 42.5K PPD. Seems like yours is doing quite well at 400mhz less.

Got some pretty fast RAM in that puppy or what?

Expected average performance @ 4.1 GHz would be about 36,000 ppd (TPF ~30:30). 2133 MHz ram might push it to close to 40K.

What's your time per frame Rip? My 2600K @ 4.5GHz is getting ~27.5 minutes on a p6900 for 42.5K PPD. Seems like yours is doing quite well at 400mhz less.

Got some pretty fast RAM in that puppy or what?

Expected average performance @ 4.1 GHz would be about 36,000 ppd (TPF ~30:30). 2133 MHz ram might push it to close to 40K.
ram is ripjaws x 1600 with 7-8-7-24 timings. When I last checked my timing was just under 30 mins per frame.

But I may have spoken too soon. I've been away for a day and that WU hasn't shown up as completed yet. So it looks like my new MB may be having some problems.

Back home. Benchmark data from HFM below. Effective TPF is off for some reason. Also had a PC issue yesterday - keyboard was non-responsive so I rebooted. Had no time to check anything - just rebooted and ran out. Had a frame that took 8.5 hours to complete before I rebooted. Can send the logs if wanted.

Project ID: 6900
Core: GRO-A3
Credit: 8955
Frames: 100

Number of Frames Observed: 88

Min. Time / Frame : 00:28:18 - 40,908 PPD
Avg. Time / Frame : 00:34:18 - 30,658 PPD
Cur. Time / Frame : 00:29:02 - 47,491 PPD
R3F. Time / Frame : 00:29:02 - 47,491 PPD
All Time / Frame : 00:29:12 - 47,219 PPD
Eff. Time / Frame : 00:19:09 - 72,000 PPD

3.5 hours to go. Will see what happens when it gets uploaded.

Last edited:
The time between the PC running FAH and the PC running HFM must not be in sync... but not far off enough to cause the client to go into 'RunningAsync' mode.

What color is the client shown? Green or Blue?

Cool... just double check the time on both PCs to make sure they're in sync. If they are and you're still seeing this discrepancy I may get you to send me some logs.

Back